Lower front shock bolt spinning

1. My model of MX-5 is: 1991 Eunos Roadster

The front lower shock bolt is just spinning inside the bushing. Any tips?

Are you trying to remove it, as it appears in the picture that there is no nut on the other end?
If you are trying to remove it, firstly put the nut back on just until it’s flush with the bolt, give it a whack with a hammer, remove nut and gently drift the bolt out with a bar and hammer?

If you are not trying to removing it, what are you doing, is it just loose?

I got the nut off but the bolt won’t slide out. Am I doing something wrong? I’ve tried hammering it but it won’t budge.

Looking at how the rubber has squeezed out from the shock end - I am guessing the metal middle bush has corroded on to the bolt and is spinning with it.

unfortunately that is going to be a PITA to remove.

Put the nut back on as mentioned, plenty of WD40 or something similar to help lubricate the area around the bolt and give it a good whack, the other option is to apply heat to the area around the bolt, but it’s not something I have done myself. Once it has moved, then you may need to still drift it out.

Is there any chance a ball joint press might work? I don’t have an angle grinder so might try that before I buy one

Remove the arm and drill or reciprocating saw through the bolt inside the bracket.

Possibly.
You would need something to fit completely over the bolt head so it rests on the bracket - then you might be able to press the bolt through the bush.

Update on this: I ended up disconnecting the tie rod from the knuckle which gave me more space for bigger swings with a hammer. It came right out.

1 Like