Lowered my MX5 ND - Eibach Pro Springs

Hi guys,

As soon as I got my new 2019 MX5, I knew I was going to lower it on the Mazda Eibach Pro springs. Today I got them fitted and I’m absolutely chuffed. I think the back will settle a bit over the next few days but its such an improvement on the stock ride height. Big reduction in body roll too when turning into corners. Definitely recommend them.

Ill try get some before and after shots up over the next few days but for now…

Looks great

As promised, here are some before and after pictures. I’ve tried to use the same angle so there is a direct comparison. I think they will settle a little lower, especially the back, but already a big improvement.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Looks awesome, I’m considering having the same things done…

Thanks. Now they have settled they look even better. Also, no headlight adjustment was required so don’t opt for that unless you need it afterwards as it’s not cheap. My springs were less than £100 and fitting was £100, so for less that £200 it’s a no brainier.

Did the same to mine (Eibach Pro’s). Also had the suspension alignment done by Roddisons Motorsport in Sheffield. The cars handing is sublime and it looks fantastic . Don’t forget to tell your insurance company. Mine did not increase the premium just the compulsory excess.

Anybody on here fitted their own lowering springs?
Interested to know how you got on resetting all the suspension bushes so they aren’t torqued at the new ride height.
Haven’t been able to find definitive instructions for the ND.

I’m interested to know what it has done to the ride comfort, I see it’s a 1.5 therefore I’m guessing it doesn’t have the sports suspension fitted, same as my SE L Also where did you source them for £100.

I had Eibach Pro Sport springs fitted to both mine, one of which is a 1.5l with standard suspension and I have to say that the ride comfort is not compromised, and the handling is much improved.  Cost of springs?  Can’t help you there as I got mine from MX5Parts when they were on special offer, they are on their website currently at around £135.00 + p&P.  They do offer the Eibach Sportline (the yellow ones) at sub £100.00 but they are for a 40mm drop (not a 30mm drop) and I don’t think either my back (Arthritis) or the car (Aggressive local speed bumps) could cope with that.

Tbh I’m not sure the Bilsteins can either, seen busted ones after the car has been lowered 40mm.  I’m surprised the OP doesn’t need a headlight reset though, everyone I know who has had their car lowered needed for it to be done (i did mine myself).

Fred - did you ever get an answer to this? I’m planning on lowering my MX5 and doing the work myself, but want to be prepared with the relevant torque settings for the different components that will need to be removed/loosened off. 

Anyone else done this? A lot of you appear to have had the work done by none Mazda garages, I wonder what they torqued the fittings up to?!?  

Try here for torque settings, direct link to workshop manual. Just ordered my spring from Mazda, where ca you get them fitted for £100? Have fitted an even done 4 wheel alignment myself before, but if someone is prepared to do it for £100, I’ll just do the alignment and light level reset trick.

Regarding headlight alignment, if Mazda fit your springs they should do it for you, they will need doing, as the alignment sensor on the rear suspension will think the back is squatting, thereby lowering your light beams. You can either fit extension rods onto these adjusters, or goto Mazda and pay whatever they want to charge, or short across a couple of pins on the obd2 port. Good luck. 

After I had mine done, I didn’t need the headlight adjusting. Not sure if it’s because mine is a 2019 but they are still perfect without the adjustment.

The 2019 ND2 does not use the same system for setting the headlights as the ND1. The ND2 uses the headlight dip sensor to control the level of the lights not a mechanical system. Even so when I had my ND1 lowered I did not require the rear suspension sensor extension rods as it was done by Mazda and is just a matter of resetting the electronics. There is a thread on the forum as to how this is done.

Where did you go to get your springs fitted?