Lowering springs for MK3: 3 options

Hi guys

After a long time reading forums and reviews, and given the prices of the coilovers, I’ve taken the decision of upgrading the springs of my 06 NC, so I could get rid of the silly 4x4 look

The options are:

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/sports-spring-mk3-p-945.html

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/eibach-30mm-sports-springs-mk3-p-943.html

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/eibach-45mm-sports-spring-mk3-p-1249.html

Has anyone fitted any of those? Any advice on which to choose? I can’t really find a major difference in any pics I’ve googled between the different drops on each set, and definitely is not easy to quantify how much the ride quality changes or any speed bump issues…

Any advice for a normal commute car, I appreciate a nice low car with no body roll on corners, but I don’t want my spine to come out if I hit a pot hole at more than 2mph…

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

David

Recently fitted Eibach 30mm springs along with RX8 anti rollbars. No issues with the ride and it looks much better even for the small Difference. Not had any issues with clearance Either. That said, I then had four wheel geo setup and that really brought it all together.

+1 for what Dave says (although only the springs in my case) never had any issues at 30mm drop with the Eibach springs. Gave the ‘look’, I felt that the ride quality didn’t suffer and they are good value. That was on the last car, ran them for over 3 years  now on Meister club race and will be raising them to a similar ride height to the Eibach springs, so looks wise, the same. Not really had chance to test the ride quality but after my worn out Bilstiens, they can’t be worse 

Barrie

Thanks for the advice guys!

I’ve put the order towards the 30mm Eibach, now just waiting for them to be in stock, quite anxious I’d say, lol.

Is there any advice to follow in order to replace them, or simple common sense as in any other car? How about spacers for the standard 17in alloys?

Of course as soon as they’re in, will do the wheel alignment

Cheers

David

You will not be disappointed, but before getting the geo done (by some one who is familiar with these cars; knowing your location will help with recommendations) make sure you have decent same-make tyres on all four corners.

The spring swap is definitely a job to do yourself. Leave a good day, maybe two. The download section gives good instructions and there are some Mazda instructions out there. Watch out for “twisted bush” (google it, it’s important) and you will need spring compressors which need handling with care. Take your time, be careful and you will be pleased with the result.

then get the geo done. This is the most important part…

Thanks guys!

Job done, and really pleased with the result. As you said, it was definitely worth the effort (although I got a mate helping / doing it).

We spotted some of the bushes not in their best days, as there was plenty of room for sideways wiggle, so I guess I’ll hold the geo for a bit until I decide wether the bush replacement is doable, as I feel the car behaving normally.

Any advice on the rear bush replacement? do it myself or a massive pain?

Cheers!