Luggage rack brake light wiring

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC 2014__
  2. I’m based near: Southampton__
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Wiring up a luggage rack brake light __
    I have bought a used Mazda luggage rack but previous owner chopped the plug off the end of the connecting wire for the LED brake light which is built in. Does anyone know how I can connect it up??
    Thanks all
    Clive

I can send you a copy of the fitting instructions if you PM me your email address but they obviously assume that everything is in good order. You’ll probably need to do a bit of improvising.

Open the boot, (NC soft-top) and if you look carefully under the boot rim at the back, below the third brake- light, you’ll find the wiring for the third brake light, emerging from the plastic boot liner panel.
I simply cut the wires, and put a male connector on one end. Fitted a female connector to the other end, so that it was easy to reconnect.

We have a Revo Rack…… so removable rack with a clip on third brake light attached. Another female connector fitted to this rack-light wiring.

So when the rack is fitted, the rack female connects to the male inside the boot. The wire can pass into the boot and is not damaged/cut by the boot lid because of the rubber seal.

When the rack is removed…… say after arrival and luggage in the hotel……… reconnect the cars own third brake light to return to normal.

1 Like