Incredibly simple to do (and it has to be for me not to mess it up) and works a treat! The only addition I made was to add a large plastic lid from my wifes Tupperware collection to give the bladder something to push against and stop it destroying itself against the seat springs.
Over the past couple of weeks we’ve travelled about 2,200 miles around France and Italy with no re-occurrence of the back pain I’ve suffered in the past. The best £15 I’ve ever spent on the MX.
If I get on OK with it, I’ll buy one for the other side too then I’ll have two zipped bags and pressure gauges left over Not arrived yet (later today) but I should be able to to blank off the second tube to the gauge easily enough. Thanks for sharing such a clever modification, something that actually serves a purpose, unlike most of the stuff I do to my car
Hi Ben, yes there is an organised run on Sunday I’m sure we’ll get to meet at some stage! I’m very interested myself in this simple mod. I’ve only got out to play on Sunday as Mrs B has a spa day with her mate
Just an update on this mod. Having done it, it’s amazing but, I thought I was being smart by just doubling up the bladder and cuff to provide a bit of ‘padding’ against the two horizontal springs in the back of the NC seats. What happened yesterday, although still effective, was that the bladder pushed through the springs into the space between cover and springs rather than staying between Spring and seat back. Answer obviously is to get a Tupperware lid between bladder and springs ( other food container lids are avilable ) just going to have a look around the house/garage to find somthing suitable
Hi Barrie, as you know mine is ordered and on its way, i have been looking on miata net and they have been having the same problems, will get some stiff plastic sheet larger than the width of the springs, drill some holes through the sheet and secure it to the springs with tie-wraps, but before fitting it in place i will fit velcro strips to both the ‘inside’ of the sheet and the cuff, and hope the jobs a good un.
Having sat in yours yesterday and finding it very comfortable i can’t wait for mine to arrive, i’m going to order a second one for the passenger seat (if it works well) as my son also has a dicky back.
Also i have been having thoughts about your door mod and i’m pretty sure i’ve cracked it.
Yep, that’s exactly what happened when I first fitted it… A large Tupperware lid was immediately available and successfully used without the need for holes/cable ties or my wife’s permission, although I’m sure I’ll be in the doghouse the next time she can’t find it in the cupboard.
The mod was an unqualified success on our month long tour, so pleased it worked for you too
Yes it certainly works, which is fantastic, it’s a very simple and inexpensive modification, which is also fantastic so thank you Steve for posting this up and giving others the opportunity to try it out!
UPDATE. Mine (eventually after 8 days) arrived today and took all of 20mins to fit…no need for tie wraps and velcro as i originally stated…a hint, don’t just fit it and zip everything up, test by sitting in the car and adjust the height of the cuff to suit your seating position, then you can zip it all back together…and good luck remembering how the seat back and squab ‘clip’ back together.
Edit. I used a doubled up piece of stiff cardboard cut to the inside shape of the seat and about an inch or so higher than the upper spring.