Lurker but new club member

Had my 2013 MX5 NC Kuro in white for around 15 months.

Meister R coilovers been on a while and BBR Super 225 with BBR Touring Back Box recently completed.

Loving the car. Especially the noise now!

Living in North Essex.

9 Likes

White, the best colour (in my opinion)

1 Like

I wasnā€™t sure when looking for a car, but this one was so good I couldnā€™t really knock it back, but I really love the colour now. The pearlescent paint makes a difference too.

3 Likes

love this - would like to see some videos of it with the BBR 225 , assume this is the one with the TBS and cams?

Yes, throttle bodies, cams and decat exhaust manifold. It makes a bit more noise now than it did as standard!

1 Like

Hi,
I have 2.0 Mk3.75 with BBR Super 200 and yes, it is ā€˜superā€™. It is my daily and our touring car. I am ITB curious but donā€™t want to add noise at polite daily and cruising speeds or reduce the currently excellent mpg of 30 - 35 depending on driving style.

Iā€™d like to know your experience of mpg and cabin noise, can you comment please?

Apologies for the tardy response, workā€¦

I got the conversion in May this year. I am very happy with it and love driving the car.

First the easy one, MPG. I tend to drive ā€œenthusiasticallyā€ so before the conversion was getting very low 30s for MPG. Now I average between 28 and 29 so overall not a massive reduction.

Noise. I have the BBR Touring back box which is the ā€œquietā€ version so I am not 100% sure what the result would be on an OEM system, but I really donā€™t think that the noise level is offensive. That said, it is completely different from stock and does make much more noise. That noise is very dependent on throttle. Under load, hard acceleration it makes a (I think fantastic, and very intoxicating) elevated level of noise. That said, when cruising, knock it into 5th or 6th and Iā€™d say you wouldnā€™t hear much difference from stock. So, overall, accelerate hard and it roars, back off the throttle and itā€™s quiet as normal. I love it and think it is best of both worlds.

A couple of things you should be aware of. Adding throttle bodies means that the air box is no longer in use as air is being added directly through the trumpets on the inlet side. This does mean that the MAF doesnā€™t really get a good read on the air going into the engine, so the car can stall, especially when cold or trickling along. To be clear, it stalls at idle, not one underway. You can be sitting with the car idling, and it will peter out. Not all the time, but it does do it. If that makes a difference as a daily driver, something to be considered. It honestly doesnā€™t bother me. Iā€™m old so I have driven cars that had chokes and were buggers to run when cold! You just restart and all good.

Next, I think it does take a tiny bit off the throttle response. A stock MX5 in a corner if the throttle is touched will instantly widen the line. My car does the same but just a fraction slower. If that razor mid corner adjustability is your main reason for loving the car, this might be a factor. Again, to be clear, it is still great, just a tiny bit down from stock.

Overall I have no regrets at all. I love the car. If you really wanted to know before you went for it and you are anywhere near Essex, Iā€™d be happy to show you the car and take you out for a spin! Same for anyone considering this conversion.

Cheers.

Hey man (yes, Iā€™m old too) thank you for your excellent response and review and generous offer for a spin. I will in fact be over your way this month.
The drop in mpg isnā€™t as bad as I was expecting and your description of the noise is reassuring. However it is those less obvious details that would put me off.
Iā€™m finding the Super 200 to be the sweet spot especially with Ohlins all around. Iā€™ll be at the Mx5 National on 17th so will try to check some out there but I think Iā€™ve decided against them.
Many thanks for your thorough reply though.
Happy MXing.