M25 to close over weekend 15-18 March

M25 to close over weekend for the first time in its history, raising fears of travel chaos

GARETH CORFIELD Transport Correspondent The Telegraph

A STRETCH of the M25 is set to close for an entire weekend for the first time in its 38-year history.

Drivers are being warned of long delays during the first planned daytime closure of a stretch of the UK’s busiest motorway.

National Highways urged motorists “only to travel if necessary” when it shuts the M25 in both directions between junctions 10 and 11 in Surrey this month. The five-mile stretch will be closed from 9pm on Friday March 15 until 6am on Monday March 18.

Motorists will be forced to detour more than 10 miles while a footbridge over the motorway is demolished and a new gantry is installed.

Traffic will be diverted via Cobham, Byfleet, West Byfleet and Sheerwater before rejoining the motorway at Chertsey, just south of the Heathrow Airport stretch.

The works form part of a £317 million improvement project, with National Highways warning that more closures are likely to follow later this year.

National Highways project lead Jonathan Wade said: “Drivers should only use the M25 if their journey is absolutely necessary. This is the first of five full closures of one of the busiest junctions on our road network.

“We have spent months planning for these closures and making sure there are diversion routes in place, but there will still be heavy congestion and delays.

“These improvements will bring long-term benefits to drivers who pass through this stretch of the M25, not to mention pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders who will also see positive changes in the area.”

The three-year project will increase the number of lanes on the M25 around junction 10 and make it easier to enter and exit at the interchange, which is one of the UK’s busiest and most dangerous motorway junctions.

A six-vehicle smash in January caused 16-mile tailbacks after a lorry, a van and four cars were involved in an accident between junctions 10 and 11. Drivers were reportedly queueing for up to an hour to pass the accident area.

The junction 10 project began in summer 2022. Four more closures will take place up to September. No dates have been released, but the next is expected to take place in April.

Steve Gooding, director of motoring research charity the RAC Foundation, said: “For drivers who’ve already had their patience tried by the queues at the junction 10 works, the phrase ‘you ain’t seen nothing yet’ springs to mind.” More than half a million vehicles are expected to be affected, including many travelling in and out of London and to and from Heathrow and Gatwick airports. On average around 270,000 vehicles use junction 10 of the M25 every day, National Highways said, with the motorway carrying between 4,000 and 6,000 vehicles per hour between junctions 9 and 11.

This is the first scheduled daytime all-lanes shutdown on the M25 since it opened in 1986, the state-owned company said.

1 Like

Pity anyone trying to get to Gatwick or Heathrow in a hurry, substantial works have been going on there for quite some time, looks like they will be making the roundabout with the A3 a bit bigger.

It adds extra left-slip lanes to escape the lights and can also stack more cars on the roundabout when they’re red, for bigger pulses when they change.

It also improves the access to Wisley etc.

I used to commute through there… 200k miles of M25 at 400miles a week until I could work from home half the time. This improvement was long overdue back in 2000 when the first rumours about it began.

See here for full details.

1 Like

Wow that is a lot of M25 to see ! Used it a fair amount over the last 8 years but nothing as impressive as that.

1994 to 2005, J16 <->J8, through all the widening, and speed cameras being added. The 400 miles a week would have been worse but for being able to share lifts with a friend for a few years.

When you get to know all the rat-runs and which lane to be in and when, and picked the best time of day, it was not too bad. Sometimes I could average 70 door to door.

But when too many local speed limits came in and the traffic filled the extra lanes, that was when I retired!

There was a camera on the A217 heading from Tadworth towards Banstead and several times I saw a bike doing a wheelie past it so his number plate was not visible. Just once I saw some police cars waiting at the lights where I usually turned off to the old Banstead swimming pool, and there was the biker talking to them.

1 Like

Having lived in the estate by J11 at Chertsey before, and weekend commuted the M25 for a year, I fully agree. That’s been desperate for work for years.

I pity anyone commuting from Woking in any direction Eastbound!

Recommended highways divert

I guarantee you nose to tail traffic from Woking through Ottershaw all the way past St. Peter’s. I lived in that triangular bit between St. Peter’s and the M25.

If I tried to pull wheelies on Hildegard the Honda I think the L plate would probably fall off :rofl:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.