Manufacturers Warranty

My 100 Anniversary MX5 manufacturers warranty has just run out- Been quoted over £300 for a years extension.
Can anyone advise whether it is really worth me doing this - My gut feeling is that the car should be pretty reliable for a few years yet & would be a waste of good money getting the warranty

Looking forward to good advise :slight_smile:
Norm

It’s a gamble on several counts. Do you feel lucky?
The main things that go wrong with the ND as I understand it are the rear suspension hub thingies, which are >£1000 to fix and can go at any time/age. Hoowever it is still debatable whether they are covered under the extended warranty, sometimes they are, sometimes not, it’s dealership lotto. My 6 year-old 35k miles ND still runs the originals. Sometimes the infotainment screen delaminates, but it is not 100% clear if this is covered by the warranty either.
The other things that go are window regulators, but they are about £55 each and relatively easy to replace.
I took out the extended warranty on mine for 2 years, in year 1 I had a rear wheel bearing go, which I was told would be £330 to fix, so in that year I just about broke even. Since then, nothing. The warrannty I have does include full UK/European breakdown cover as well (which I have not had to use) but other less expensive policies are available.
One might be better off banking it and earning interest on it.

There are at least 5 aftermarket repair solutions that I know of, 3 offer replacement spherical bearings and 2 poly bushes, costs to fix in the low to mid hundreds for either.

Personally I’d put the money aside and maybe you’ll need to use it, maybe you won’t.

1 Like

Many Thanks Ian, Yes think i will keep hold of my money.

1 Like

Good morning Widely- many thanks, have decided to not to extend the warranty :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.