Mark 3 seat removal

Further to my last post regarding repairs to seats, can anyone explain  how to remove/refit a drivers seat (heated) in an NC?

Sorry, I can’t answer your question but I will keep an eye on this thread as I took the four bolts off my NB seats a couple of days ago but couldn’t release the heated seat connector after trying for ages. Hopefully someone will help…

Lets hope so, as I don’t want to start something I cannot finish.

It is an easy process, 4 bolts and one leccy connection. The electrical block has a swing type latch, free it up and the connection comes apart. Battery disconnection required as you have airbags in the seat. 

Electrical block on the underside of the seat Mk3, this connects to the other half on the cars floor under the seat obviously.

Mick, if I disconnect the battery will I have to reset stereo etc? Not sure I have the code… (apologies for butting in on the thread Terry)

Ah that’s a question I can’t answer, some radios were coded, some not. Mine wasn’t coded so a straight forward reconnection and retune job.

I’m not sure if there’s another way to do it, keeping the power connected. I understand it’s best to remove the power input to such things as airbags to be safe, as with most electrical work really.

Any solutions on this welcome, or work around.

Thanks Mick,  i’ll double check i have code before I disconnect.

Mick, am I not able to just remove the seat bottom from the frame? A mate of mine reckons they are on clips. 

SDG111, no problem with you asking Micks advice. Hope you get sorted.

The actual seat squab covering may be clipped on but I think you’ll find the the seat is best out to get at the clips.

The seat base is bolted to the runners, again I reckon it’s nigh impossible to remove the seat from the runners in situ. It’s a tight space to work in to remove the runners with the seat out and on a bench, I know I’ve recently done it.

Does the car have airbags ? If it doesn’t ( and easy enough to tell ) should be dead easy, as I have had mine out numerous time over the last week to try and get them into a fit state where I can actually drive the car for more than 10 minutes without being crippled by the bolsters ( post to follow )

On mine ( a 2006 model with cloth seats )
pull seat forward
remove rear two bolts ( 14mm socket )
push seat back
remove front two bolts
lay seat over and pull connector block off mounting on seat ( should pull straight off with a good tug )
get a small screwdriver and push between the outer part of the connector block and the plug and the connector should lever out easily
when disconnected - carefully lift seat out

reinstall reverse

The connectors are all shaped so that they cant be put in the wrong slot

If the car has airbags, then I think you need to disconnect the battery - if you don’t have a radio code - you can set one before you disconnect the battery so you know what it is for when you reconnect.

Im sure someone will come along and tell us if im wrong

:slight_smile:

Thanks Spokey. Not sure on the air bags. How can I tell if I have them? Thought the step by step guide was spot on.

Just to restart the thread-I have had a price of £80 for replacing two panels. I now need to remove the seat. My query is as follows.

If I do not disconnect the battery, what will the effect be on the air bags?

Probably nothing, I’ve done it countless times and been fine but it’s your risk. The proper advise is to disconnect the battery. Why are you keen not to?

Thanks Robbie. Simply because I do not have a code for the radio. 

I’ll sort you out if you do need one.

1 Like

Much appreciated. 

I want to fit seat covers, is there enough length in the electric cable to allow me to loosen the seat and carefully fit the cover without having to risk the airbags? I will have a second pair of hands to help hold things. Mazda MX5 Mk3.5