Mark 4 Boot popper springs

MX5 parts are showing ‘out of stock’ and I cannot see whether theirs would fit a Mk4.

Any thoughts please?

Sorry but I can not find the item but found this Fuel Filler Lid Lift Spring, MX5 Mk4 & RF (mx5parts.co.uk) Is this the item? If not can you do a link so we can see what you are looking at.
:heart:

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/boot-lifter-mk1-25-p-229.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_7KXBhCoARIsAPdPTfhN9WZSk9MTFx91-UHgeWbjqqQ_LyNkliL27EvahSVzNqHz77XuOZ4aAlXOEALw_wcB

They are for the Mk1 and 2, I can not see any reference to the Mk4. Confused.

May be these Tailgate struts for MAZDA MX-5 IV ND — high quality parts (motor-doctor.co.uk) are what you are looking for.

Nope! I think there has been a lot of threads on the boot opening springs already, in fact I’ve found a comprehensive one a year ago.

I’ve answered my query: I want some but I’m not paying £99 for a pair of springs - when MX5 parts get them back in stock at sub £70 I may have a punt but it’s still a lot for being lazy and not opening the boot lid with one’s fingers isn’t it? I think a lot of the appeal is posing, pressing the remote and impressing the people in Asda car park.

Appear to be a bit more than a pair of springs. Low volume part, I doubt more than a few hundred are sold each year. Fair price.

These are the boot poppers fitted to my MX5 ND.

Advantages:

• They are cool :joy:
  • Prevent the risk of catching your finger nails against the body work when manually lifting the boot

Disadvantages:

• There is a tendance they ever so slightly cause the back of the boot lid to sit proud of the rear panel.

When I close my boot I give a gentle push down with my thumb on the rear corners of the boot.

In this picture the boot has just been closed.

And in this one I have just pressed on the corners

As I say it is very slight but enough for me to know it’s there, the push down sorts it.

It’s a bit of a faf, but as I say, they are pretty cool :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Distorting the fit like that might lead to damage to the hinges…

1 Like

And distortion of the aluminium boot lid.

1 Like

And scratches where you push down!!!

1 Like