Marriage allowance (tax question)

Can you still claim this tax allowance if both husband/wife are pensioner’s, but one pay’s income tax and the other does’nt?

Yes, we do exactly that.

1 Like

Hi, it’s called Married Allowance Transfer (£1,260 x20% = £252.00). The £252.00 is deducted from the income tax charged after other allowances and reliefs from the persons tax calculation.
This is what I am lead to believe.
Regards TT

1 Like

Can be backed dated too, see above.

1 Like

A maximum of 10% of your personal allowance can be transferred to your spouse.

2 Likes

… which is what we do.

1 Like

is any documentation needed to be sent off, I understand that a P60 is required, but a pensioner not paying tax, does’nt get any yearly tax information eg P60.

All you need are the two NI numbers. The P60 etc. is only required to proved your identity. I already had an online tax account so can’t remember having to provide any more information.

1 Like

The one paying income tax is the one who should have the P60. So basically the one giving up some of their personal allowance (non tax payer/below the tax threshold) to the tax payer is the one who applies.

^^Think I’ve got that correct^^

Apply online, you may need to set up a government gateway account, email/password etc if you already haven’t and it’s self explanatory from there. We did it and found it straightforward.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.