Mazda 2 reversing. Camera

I have just fitted a reversing camera to my MK3 and my wife has expressed an interest in having one fitted to her Mazda 2 MK3. The infotainment looks like the same fitted to a MX5 MK4. Anyone any experience on how difficult this would be. Is it just a matter of connecting up a din plug?

Not quite as simple as that I’m afraid. Don’t buy one of the generic kits that are for sale on eBay that say ‘Fits Mazda 2’. You will find the same kits saying fits many different makes and models. You need a kit that will provide an adapter for the specific connections on the MZD display unit. There isn’t a socket on the unit just for a reversing camera. The video and power wiring is integrated into the main connector plug on the MZD.

Also any kit that says you should take the power from the reversing light will fail to operate due to the way the MZD recognises the camera is connected when the ignition is turned on. There is also the additional problem that the MZD camera power output is 6 volts and most cameras are rated at 12 volts.

Now for the good news!

I manufacture and sell a kit for the ND Mk4 MX-5. I’ve sold around 60 kits so far on eBay, FaceBook and on this and other forums. Total cost including UK P&P is £64.98 and is available here -

Kit available here

You can download the instructions here -

Instructions

The instructions are specific to the MX-5 so you will have to find your own route from behind the MZD unit to the mounting position which will probably be on the tailgate between the number plate lights. If you are interested I would suggest that you first purchase a suitable cable which are available cheaply on eBay. If you can run that successfully then the rest should be relatively easy.

Suitable cables are available from Hong Kong here -

The cheap one

Or from the UK here -

The slightly dearer one

The cable needs to be run with the Red DC socket behind the MZD head unit and the Red DC plug at the camera end. Make sure you get a cable with the yellow RCA phono plugs at both ends not BNC twist type plugs.