Mazda 2nd Service

1. My model of MX-5 is: __30th Anniversary
  2. I’m based near: oxford
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Should I have main dealer service as it is a ltd edition or use my local garage

Personally whilst the car is under manufacturers warranty, I would use the main dealer. I know technically you do not have to, but in practice if there was ever a problem with the car it would remove an opportunity for them to refuse to fix it. You would have an argument that you would (probably) win, but I will be using the dealer until my car is 3 years old. Once out of warranty, I would potentially take it elsewhere as long as you trust the garage. My wifes 5 year old Renault has just had a service and the brakes changed at an independent today, but to be fair the Renault main dealers are not great.

2 Likes

Main dealer every time, they’ll check for software updates and add the service to the Mazda database, adds value at resale or trade in time too.

2 Likes

Do you want to maintain the paint and anti- corrosion warranty?

Maintain some goodwill with your dealer?

Or save the cost of meal out?

Thanks very much for the advice. I think I will stick with the main dealer whilst it is still in warranty.

Thanks for this. I was wondering whether it would add more value at resale/trade in , so that’s helpful

Not sure what your plans are long term with the car, but certainly main dealer it for 3 years, you’ll get a lot more support if something does need doing under warranty.
Johnson’s in Gloucester will pick up he car up for £15, so Oxford might do it also.
Worth having the gearbox oil done at 3 years also, costs approx £90.

Thanks. My first Mazda & only had it for a year. Due 2nd service September, has done 8,000 miles. Been quoted £350 by Oxford dealership. Oil change, filter & brake fluid. Does this sound about right?

I always ring round the Mazda dealers for service prices, amazing how they vary. I’ve also found if you buy and supply your own oil it can save you significant money.

1 Like

Sounds about right, the brake fluid change is approx £70 on it’s own, so the service is approx £280.

It’s a special car, it’s worth servicing it properly.

Johnson’s do their own service plan, It’s with Emac, I’m paying £20 a month for 3 years for my petrol CX-5, including the 2nd year brake fluid change, if you want to spread the cost. They refund any unused payments if you sell the car.
Protects you against price increases also.

Good solution when car is in warranty.

1 Like

Agreed.

I’m happy to pay this sort of money for the potentially messy jobs that need sliding about under the car! I always mention the clutch when it’s brake fluid change time.

With iron will I somehow manage to refrain from pointing out how Johnson’s in Swindon and Newbury seemed to have missed bleeding the clutch twice in the car’s early life, and I just remain sunny and positive.

However simple service items like bulbs, wipers, or a pad or disc change I prefer to sort myself. It’s quicker and much cheaper, and I choose the make of pads, do a proper inspection of calipers, discs and tyres, etc.

The price seems a little high to me. It is always worth ringing a few dealers and ‘cheerfully’ asking for their best price and say ‘second year service INCLUDING brake fluid change’. Some quotes do not include this.
:heart:

1 Like

I’m amazed at the disparity in prices. I just had a second service done on my 2019 ND2 SE+ by Barnetts Mazda Dundee, Oil and filter, brake fluid change, etc. Fixed price … £229 inc vat.

2 Likes

Some years ago we had a BMW 520d. Although servicing was cheaper elsewhere, we stuck to the main dealer.

When it was fours years old, and a year outside warranty, a rear light cluster failed costing £500! The dealer asked BMW about this, who responded with: “Is this a regular customer with a fully serviced car with you?”

A “yes” led to BMW covering the full cost of repair. Loyalty can pay dividends.

4 Likes

Now that is more like it.
:heart:

Probably labour rates are higher in Oxford than Dundee.
London is even more.

1 Like

Not so sure those are “service items” as they aren’t replaced on a time / mileage basis…they certainly aren’t part of any service schedule I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

…got ours booked in for its 2nd service next week…main dealer, £300…(I think it includes brake fluid change?)

Today my Mazda3 sailed though the 5th service at Milcars Mazda in Watford.

Lots of MX5s on display both new and old, but I had a Classic Bike to read and some writing to do.

Here’s a cost history, normally I take it there and wait while they do it. Most times I remember to fill the screen wash and save £4.99.

£219.57 5th S & M
£347.43 4th S & M inc brake fluid cabin filter, I was away, so paid a bit more for it to be collected and delivered back
£253.57 3rd S & MOT inc air cleaner
£285.77 2nd S inc brake fluid, cabin filter
£171.86 1st Service

I agree, they are what I service the car with in an ongoing basis as and when required, no waiting or asking for a dealer to do it.