Mazda Iconic SP Concept

Beautiful design, manages to theoretically squeeze the rotary R-EV hybrid powertrain into a sportscar sized between the RX-7 FD and RX-8. Target of 370PS with a weight of 1450kg and able to run on hydrogen if needed.

As well as charging the battery, the twin rotor generator can also provide emergency power during natural disasters, which is handy.

5 Likes

That looks v interesting!

Never understood why companies make such stunning concepts then trim everything out in production models. Considering the most impactful part of the concepts is generally the aesthetic it shouldn’t be a massive cost to follow through to production.

1 Like

It’s primarily the Halo effect. Design something amazing and people want to buy an item of yours so they feel a connection to the amazing thing they couldn’t buy.

Beautiful concept.

Interesting that the design is left hand drive from a Japanese company. American design house?

Well the USA is their biggest Market so it will probably be shown over there too.

You’ll need some big parking spaces to get those doors fully open! It’s bad enough when someone parks close to our RF, and you can’t open the door enough to get in!
And will they finally give the car some degree of underbody rustproofing so it doesn’t fall to bits after 5 years…?

2 Likes

I thought the ND was dipped to protect against corrosion ,there was a video showing the process ,I thought it was on this forum but could have been miata.net

Mazda concepts hardly ever, if ever, make it to production. Whenever Mazda brings out yet another deadend rotary concept, I know in which pile that will end up.

Perhaps a bit more on this concept car… let’s see…

1 Like

My RF is just 5 years old, and already showing signs of the dreaded orange peril on shocks, struts etc. It will be going off to the MX-5 Restorers very shortly

Shocks and struts maybe going rusty but those parts are easy to replace and I would think it’s purely cosmetic ,I think the body is dipped with some sort of galvanising process

Saw some shocking underside photos of a 5 year old ND yesterday that were the equal of my NBFL when it was 16 years old before I had the underside taken back to bare metal and properly protected.

When you say shocking ,do you mean bodywork ?or subframes ?

Underside, suspension particularly the shocks which are Bilsteins, if you are on fb check out Farmer Neen.

I personally don’t think shocks going rusty is an issue ,as long as the bodywork doesn’t rust I’m going to be happy .

When did this thread about a concept car become about rust?

1 Like

When people started complaining about poor rust protection on the latest model :wink:

Then they probably need to understand that the only way the SP Concept will meet its 1450kg target weight is through the use of composites. Plus count the number of panels.

The NF, if it ever happens, won’t be made of steel (NE is the Fiat Spyder, so the chassic moniker has already been used).

And the idea of a range extender Mazda coupe is a flawed idea. These things only exist as interim solutions to parts of the world where range anxiety is a genuine thing, ie parts of the US. But Charger providers are closing that gap rapidly, meaning the technology will rapidly go obsolete, and become a white elephant. If this is a vision of what a sporty Mazda will look like in 2028 (its not going to be built next year), all it will serve is to remind consumers how terrible the range Mazda EVs are achieving. Plus Mazda is doing that using a powerplant that has well known longevity problems. Lets see how the MX-30 R-EV does.

Reviews of the single rotor version suggests its noisy, and not in a good way. Its been described as sounding like a food blender, fridge or household old school AC.

It might show the future styling trends of the next MX5; a blobbly front end with tiny eyes for headlamps (popups have no change) and the rear treatment with its gimmicky illuminated “Mazda”. Which is a sad reminder how Mazda once set the tone for rear ends. The original rear light cluster on the NA MX5 was on display for a while at the New York Museum of Modern Art

https://www.moma.org/collection/works/91740

The current trend is for rear light bars which aren’t particularly useful. I could see that happening, to make cars moving adverts.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.