Mazda Mx-5 Steering Feels like it's gliding left and right

1. My model of MX-5 is: Mk3
  2. I’m based near: Wolverhampton
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Why my steering feels like I’m not 100% in control sometimes when travelling at high speeds and why it feels like my car is gliding left and right when travelling at high speeds. Is this normal or do I need to have it looked at?

Thanks

Check the wheel nuts are tight.

Tyre pressures correct?

Are the tyres good and evenly worn?

Get an alignment done to see if it’s straight.

1 Like

Yes. There is a problem.

It could be several things, and a professional hands-on look is the quick way to resolving it.
Tyre prsssures could be too high
Steering alignment could be wrong
Components could be worn and have play, or even not done up properly. Lots of things here!

1 Like

I’ll check all these in the morning and let you know, thank you for your reply

One of the things I was most impressed with is how planted the car feels at well into 3 figure speeds.
Check the obvious stuff as others have said, then get an alignment done if you don’t find anything.

1 Like

Has it just started feeling like this, have you had any work done on the car?
How long have you owned it?

Felt like it since i brought it around 5 weeks ago. Ill check all the obvious things in the morning, and ill check the old paper work to see if its had any work on it. It is 16 years old maybe it needs some tlc

Well worth getting the alignment checked, also possible that mismatching front and rear tyres can cause some odd sensations but definitely sounds like there’s something amiss

2 Likes

So I’ve just checked the tyre brands,

Front right - Avon 2V5
Front left - No brand no websites

Rear right - Avon 2v7
Rear right - Says avontyres.eu

Would this be an issue. Sorry for the silly questions but I’m no expert on this stuff. What is the difference between 2v5 and 2v7? Thanks

While you’re at the tyre shop buying new tyres you can get an alignment done. Problem solved :wink:

1 Like

And the pressures? Should be 29psi all round.
Odd tyres will feel, well odd

2 Likes

Ill check them tomorrow and update you. Cheers for all the help i appreciate it

Of all the cars I’ve owned , only flyweight Sevens were more affected by tyre pressures. My daily driver Yeti feels more or less the same even with rather embarrassing underinflation , but the MX5 (ND in my case) feels bloody awful if the tyres aren’t just so … . If my right rear tyre is a few psi down (as it used to get with a very , very slow puncture ) I can accelerate to turn right and brake to turn right - but track straight as an arrow when all is as it should be.

A previous owner that cares so little as to fit those tyres in the first place probably doesn’t even know how to spell alignment.
We are talking a 4 wheel alignment as opposed to a tracking job at a backstreet garage.
4 reasonable new tyres and alignment will transform the car and the pleasure you get from it.

4 Likes

I usually take my everyday drivers to cheap backsteet garages for tyres, but i wont be taking my mx-5 there, ill possibly get someone to come out with a mobile service. what tyres would you recommend? I saw on a website that the Avon ZV7 were best.

When I got my 2011 NC back in August last year with 30,000 miles on it it was given an MOT, the selling garage failed it on back tyre tread and fitted two new ones. I later established these were Landsail (never heard of them). The handling was frightening on turn in to a corner. My pal suggesting putting the back tyres on the front and the front Pirellis on the back. Hey presto, that was the answer. The brand new Landsails were binned and new Pirellis all round…perfect. I also have a Caterham if that adds anything to the story. I did read an entertaining review of the Landsails which said succinctly “Dangerous in a straight line!”

2 Likes

Goodyear Assymetric5 absolutely transformed mine.

2 Likes

A 4 wheel alignment on my 70,000 mile 2006 Mk3 was night and day.
I also had the Eibach 30mm lowering coils fitted which improved the look of the car as well as helping the handling. The top of tyre to wheel arch now looks good rather than ‘4x4’. This is a standard mod and many owners have had it done. I’ve had no problems with speed bumps and the like.

Your tyres are ZV5 and ZV7. The Zv7 was a later type.
It’s worth checking the age of your tyres too; There’ll be an oval on the tyre wall with the week and year of manufacture in it, e.g. 4420. Tyres harden up after a few years.

I’m running and am perfectly happy with Kumho PS71 tyres which many others recommend for the MX-5. This is a very good tyre at a budget price.

2 Likes

Cheers for your help, the front left says 4514, rear left says 3918, the rear right says 3918 and the front right says 4514. If my guess is correct that means 4th May 2014, so some new tyres are in order.

1 Like

The 4514 means manufactured in the 45th week of 2014.
The first 2 numbers will always be the week number and the last 2 the year. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like