Mazda MX30

Spotted my first MX30 all electric Mazda yesterday, apparently one of only 5 in the country so far. See what you think.

has it been modelled on the Pontiac Aztek

1 Like

Nope.
It’s been modelled on everything else like it to my eyes.
Bits of Lexus…bitza this, that, and 'tuthers.

I had the opportunity of driving one from Worcester to Milton Keynes last week, a 99 mile journey. Once over the weirdness of it having an electric motor and a battery instead of a conventional engine I thought it drove very much like a Mazda, all very familiar. It was the first EV I’ve ever driven and I’m pretty much sold on it.

1 Like

Not much rear legroom?

I was impressed with the interior design and choice of materials, and the quality has really improved to Audi standards, which is high praise.

Door trim tops are made from recycled plastic bottles and the the seats from recycled fabric apparently…

I reckon Audi might take offense :wink:

My god that’s ugly.

Agreed. Very very ugly. I feel like my eyes have been raped.

1 Like

I followed one this morning and it was only the badge that gave it away. Looks typically Mazda and from the rear looked ok. was thinking of getting an electric car as my main car, but the cost of them all is a bit much to be fair. My current favorite is the Peugeot (cannot believe I had to google how to spell that!!!) e208, which looks quite good.

Does look a bit tight for leg room in the rear in those pictures.:thinking:

The big mistake is giving an expensive car a very small range (probably only 100 miles in the real world). Their reason given is that most drivers only do a small distance in a day. That’s missing the point. I only do on average 20 miles a day but there are days I need to do 250 miles. So what would I do? I would either have to have 2 cars or hire one. Not exactly cost effective. They are restricting their customer base by appealing to a limited number of people instead of everyone. 100 miles for a small city car makes sense. Not for a £25,000 medium sized posh 5 seater.

1 Like

I think this is a good summary. I have a cash for car company scheme that enhances payments if I go for an EV. I need this to be a good mid sized practical car and it must have good range. 100 miles is simply not enough. City cars do short runs, bigger cars are inevitably going to do longer runs and I for one wouldn’t want to have to recharge every 90 minutes. This is despite me quite liking the car

1 Like

This of course is only the first EV from Mazda, and others will follow to fill different niches in the market. I gather that next in line will be a version of the MX30 with a small rotary engine acting as a range extender. If you look under the bonnet of this car you will see than the electric motor takes up only half the space so this seems an entirely logical development.

1 Like

And let’s not forget that much of it is to comply with EU regs because they must achieve less than a certain % Co2 emissions across the range so they have ditched the most powerful engine in the Mazda2, ditched the CX30 etc and brought out an electric one. It’s either that or withdraw from the market like Mitsubishi have done.

1 Like

EV’s are expensive so far, and the MX30 starts at £25k, which is a lot less than its competitors.

It’s less expensive than I would have thought, but perhaps it depends what you mean by competitors. Does it have competitors or is a short-range car as large as that in a class of 1? There’s certainly a market for short-trip cars; I’ve got one. But it’s half the size of that thing and much, much cheaper because it’s not electric. If I was going to spend £25 grand on a car, why would I want one of those? (It’s a serious question. We’ve dithered over replacing our Mazda 6 for literally years waiting for something to grab us and say “buy me”. This thing doesn’t set my trousers on fire.)

Like just about everything these days, it looks like a potato.

1 Like

I’m not over keen on it’s looks, the exterior looks a bit basic to me, but I can’t put my finger on exactly what it is I don’t like . :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

With you all the way on that one.
It’s the rear side view I reckon.
The front and rear are good.
I don’t like the look of the new Mazda 3 either.
In fact, we went for a different brand from selling the Mazda 2 baked bean tin. :flushed:

I like the front end and the interior seems fine but that’s about it.

Japanese need to design better looking OEM wheels.

It has those reverse opening doors like the RX8 :thinking: