Mazda MX5 In The Movies

Again, not a film but there’s a Miata in a recent Lee Child/Jack Reacher book - it’s one of the later ones, possibly “Make Me”

That’s what I thought, there are quite a few longer shots of vehicles with very obvious Eire plates. Makes you wonder why they didn’t set it in Ireland. The series is ok but it’s got to the point that I am now only watching it for a glimpse of the mx-5!

And then it was gone.

Not a Northern Irish plate. RXV6548 is a well known plate used in dramas. Here on a BMW in “Bloodlands” (filmed in NI?)

1 Like

Well spotted. Who notices this kind of stuff?

There was a Police car in the recent Unforgotten series with a UK two letter, two number, three letter format where the final three letters were RAI. The “I” is never used in UK registrations. I don’t have any problem with them attaching fictitious plates but hate it when they use a format that is obviously fake.

I remember a TV ad from many years ago which if my memory serves me right was for an oil company. It featured a Range Rover with plates that were relevant to the company involved. In one shot you could clearly see a reflection in the tailgate screen of the vehicle’s genuine reflective plate which had been placed on the boot floor.

Anybody noticed that in a lot of print and media vehicle ads fictitious registrations are used with only the characters 1, 8, 0, A, H, I, M, O, T, U, V, W, X & Y. The same image can be used either as filmed or as a mirror image to depict left and right hand drive vehicles.

“I” might not be used in GB registrations, but it is in NI egistrations. NI is part of the UK.

“OIL” plates are often snapped up by operators of oil tanker trucks. A good friend, when he moved his MX5 over to NI, was issued a “PIL” plate. He was/is a surgeon.

If the film is set in the future, you can make up your own numberplate system

They can be way off the mark. The BBC series, 1990, filmed in 1977 or so, imagined Edward Woodward tooling around 20 years later in an Austin Princess with strange plates

What a strange view of the future. The thought that the Fiat Multipla could evolve into something even more hideous. :scream:

Not a movie, but there used to be an NC on the starting sequence of Gogglebox.
It was of course outside the house of a hairdresser :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like