Mazda MX5 mk3 1.8 2.0 05-14 Front Rear Black MTEC Brake Discs and Mintex Pads?

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2007 2.0 NC
  2. I’m based near: County Durham
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Brake Discs and Pads

Hi all,

Just been browsing on the bay and have noticed this set has 15% off for the next few days. Is anybody running these or has experience of them please?

Thank you

I’ve just ordered those a couple of days ago. Seem like a good deal and the guys in my local motor factors say they’re a good choice.

1 Like

Thanks Davy, quite tempted myself to be honest at only £25 or so more than the mx5parts basic set.

1 Like

Groved/drilled disks are prone to wrapping. They are also like a cutting tool for your brake pads. Imho get simple solid disks mate

3 Likes

What utter tosh….look at virtually every motorbike and performance car, drilled/slotted discs abound.

1 Like

I have these on my 1.8 mk3.5 and are great

1 Like

They certainly come with a lot of exclamation marks!!!

Key Benefits of MTEC Discs
The grooves help deglaze the pad and prevent fade which occurs when the pad and disc gets too hot!
The holes help to keep the discs cool and dissipate heat!
The grooves also help to channel water away from the disc surface!
Stopping distances are reduced!
They add the finishing touch behind alloys!
Longer disc life!
Reduced weight!

To which I could only add…
Novelty Value!

I like discs with an anti rust coating, the last Pagid ones I bought had it, although they weren’t black or holey.

The Mintex pads will be reliable and serviceable, even though they are the budget brand of Textar. But I’d be much happier with them than an unbranded pad or ‘Eicher’ for example.

1 Like

Grooved, dimpled, holed discs are really just for show and has been said above, don’t really offer any advantage to braking (particularly all that sales rap on the ebay site) A simple set of flat plain discs like these for example

are more than adequate

Brake discs will “Warp” due to excessive heat/cooling cycles.
The main problem with warping, (whether drilled/grooved/vented/solid is worn and cheap discs made from inferior metal/s.(Not all mind).
Get rid of the excessive heat and the issue will be vastly reduced.
One could argue that grooved/drilled discs (of good quality) and vented will reduce heat even more and therefore “warping”, hence used on high performance vehicles.
I use coated Ferodo solid/vented discs by the way.
Just an opinion.

1 Like

Yes and i have wrapped quite a few bike brake disks on trackdays. Bike brake disks are also two part with a hub made out if something light attached to the brake disks to reduce weight. They are thin and usually drilled to improve cooling but because also to reduce their weight which reduces the unsprung mass of the wheel.

On cars vented brake disks are really good getting rid of heat *but there’s no space to fit them in an mx5. * this bit is incorrect, front disks are vented

As for the coated flavour, thats unfortunately another temporary gimmick. Once you scrub off the disk by usage this coating disappear.

Personally I’d stay away from eBay on anything especially anything related to the brake system. Just buy reputable solid brake disks and whatever flavour brake pads you want. They will last longer if you don’t have groves anyway.

2 Likes

Have a look at your front discs, they will be vented.
The rears are solid.
(If you still have your NC).
The coating protects the “Unswept” surface from rusting. :+1:

1 Like

my disks were corroded so last year I changed the OEM for brembo front and back and asked to have them fitted during a service. I’m pretty sure they were solid disks - maybe I just looked at the rear ones. my nc at the mx5 restorer atm so cant have a nosey - it does make sense if just the fronts are vented though.

Trust me, the fronts ARE vented.
Good to chat.
Not all eBay sellers are rubbish mind as a few of them are OEM main dealers with outlets on eBay.
Some of my Volvo parts are sold direct from main dealers.
Likewise, Mazda also have outlets on eBay.
Quite a few “High Street” chains also have outlets on eBay and are therefore able to actually sell the same products cheaper than the shop.
Enjoy your day, off to get my 5 MOT’d. :+1:

1 Like

Vented discs, in this instance, means a sandwiched disc if you like. That’s what vented discs are…rather than what I think you’re referring to as having some “cooling vents” ported to them from the bumper hole perhaps…

1 Like

Nope, i know what vented disks are vs solid disks. If oem are vented then any replacement should be of similar working thickness and tbh i would expect them to be vented as well ( apart from less cooling effect they would be much heavier if they weren’t). My confusion thinking the nc front disks were solid was that when i opened a replacement disk box i probably opened the rear ones and i never really looked the front disks - i got the workshop to change them for me.

Id still not buy groved/drilled ones though for the reasons already mentioned

Thank you all, a really interesting debate :slight_smile:

Yes, by way of being more aggressive in the way they wear on the pad = shorter pad life, so not quite the tosh which Davy suspects it to be.

Stopping distances are affected by your tyres more than pretty much anything else. If you can lock up the tyres when braking, you already have the maximum braking power you can apply to the road. Now, you might want to manage heat so that you can brake harder for longer, but it won’t affect your stopping distance per se.

This is probably the only benefit and, in reality, not that great a deal unless your car is otherwise so flippin immaculate that some rust on the edge of your brake disc would be a problem! :smile:

IMO, the extra £25 for something which is largely going to go unnoticed is £25 I’d choose to spend on something else, like buying a more premium brand of standard discs p’raps.

Have been using them for years on cars from my nc to kia sorento. Light weight to heavyweight cars with no problems at all. Ordèred mine with ebc greenstuff pads. Personally just think look better through the alloys. If you like and want them its your car just do it.

1 Like

BTW…they’re not drilled, only grooved and dimpled.

And they arrived today. Well pleased, quality looks good and it’s a pity the swept surfaces will lose the black coating very quickly.

2 Likes

Another point for the ‘don’t buy off eBay’ advocates :yawning_face:, MTec sponsor the MX5 Sprint series so methinks they’re good enough quality to not worry about plus they give a 12000 mile 1 year warranty.

2 Likes