Mazda OEM wheels and insurance

1. My model of MX-5 is: 1999 SE 1.8 NB
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Car Insurance of wheels

When I bought my £500 Green SE 1999 on a whim, I didn’t realise that a previous owner(s) had stripped out the nice leather seats, interior and nice wheels, replacing them with cheaper smaller wheels and more basic cloth seats.

The SE is meant to come with 15" wheels (195/50/15), however I got the 5 spoke 14"s(185/60/14). I don’t have this declared as a ‘mod’ on the insurance as it’s pretty much OEM wheels. However I’ve just purchased a set of the 5 spoke Mazda OEM 15" enkei wheels which are a much closer to the OEM wheels that the car should have come with.

Question is, does this matter at all in terms of declaring things on the insurance?
I feel like I’m in a bit of a grey area where they are technically different, but still OEM mazda of the identical size, so doesn’t really matter?

1 Like

The only people who can really help you with this are you on this are your insurers, they will all take different views some more sympathetic than others. Good luck :+1:

Tell them exactly what you’ve told us, they are Mazda wheels of a different style. I’m pretty sure they’ll accept that and probably won’t even be too I concerned but it’s noted.
I swapped my Mk2 seats out, in fact the whole interior including steering wheel from one with another colour interior. Mentioned this to insurers but they really didn’t seem that bothered. Probably more interested in power mods, wide wheels, body kits etc.

1 Like

Hi.
Yes you would need to declare these as a modification to your insurer.
Regards,
Dan.

1 Like

I called up my insurance company (admiral) and told them I put a set of aftermarket wheels on and they said I dont need to declare them as modifications and it didnt matter. Did I just get a lazy employee that didnt want the fuss or something?

Thank you, I actually insurance it through Adrian Flux, so I’ll give them a call up once I fit them.

I’m wanting to repaint them in a bronze colour anyway, so I assume I’ll definitely have to declare a colour change!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.