Mazdaspeed parts, any info?

HelloSmile

Am i right in thinking that Mazdaspeed parts can be classed as OEM as they are the motorsport wing of Mazda? or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

Basically, i try and buy OEM products over third party stuff as i’m a bit of an originality fan, and so i quite like the idea of Mazdaspeed parts as even though they are ‘mods’ they are Mazda OEM mods, am i right in thinking this?

Does anyone have any info on Mazdaspeed parts and accessories and where i can purchase them in the UK? i know Moss and MX5parts carry a small selection but i have a feeling there are loads more parts that i could only source from Japan or through an importer, anyone have any links to where i can do this?

Cheers

Ben

Most of the Mazdaspeed stuff is rebranded aftermarket fair anyway. For example shocks are AGXs, springs are Eibach, Superchargers are Jackson Racing kits… And yes you do have to tell the insurance company. I’m sure you could shoe horn an AMG V12 into an A-class, but doubt you would get away with claiming it was OEM.

KYB AGXs are rebranded Gabs.

Kayaba did make adjustable shocks for the Japanese market, and Mazdaspeed , like most of the Japanese tuning market, sourced from either KYB or Tokico, and slapped on their own sticker. AGXs were originally restricted by KYBs licencing agreement to the US market. I’m not sure AGXs really share any design commonality with KYBs own adjustable shocks, such as Buzzspecs.

Orignal fit Mk1 shocks came from Showa.
The springs were supplied by Eibach, but to a Mazdaspeed specification; they differ from Eibach sports.

Allegedly, some insurance companies treat Mazdaspeed supercharged Roadsters as equivalent to BBR MX5s, for insurance purposes.

Here’s mine definitely AGX related, not sure about valving. You don’t happen to have a source for specs on the springs do you?

Specs are:
   SPORTS SPRING SET/ EIBACH
EIBACH Springs, 30mm lower than Stock, Spring rate (N/mm <kgf/mm>): (Fr) 29.4 <3.0>, (Rr) 19.6 <2.0>

http://www.japanparts.com/db/parts_detail.php?number=00000386

I have a shed load of mazdaspeed items on my car but i have declared them all as mods on my policy but factory/dealer options. Just wanted to make sure I was covered.

Ive stuff like a rear spoiler and side skirts (thought to be mazdaspeed) , air intake, manifold, exhaust (several times welded and destined for the bin) and roll over bar.

Im still not sure of the origin of all the stuff on my car but it seems the original owner had a liking for the mazdaspeed options list.

To be honest, id always coveted mazdaspeed items but the 12 year old reality is a lot of it could do with being replaced with better items as many seem past their best.

Much of this stuiff isnt available over here and I think youll be looking at importing from seller directly form Japan for any original parts if you want them that badly.

AGX on a 1997 car:

AGXs are GAB HPs.

Different range of adjustment, different seat design. I think the Mazdaspeed shocks are a version of the Super Special, revalved for Mazdaspeed. At the same time, KYB were selling AGXs in the US, they were selling Super Specials elsewhere. I had a long conversation with a rep from Kayaba UK about why, at the time, they couldn’t supply AGXs in the UK for anyprice (but they could get in  any other KYB shock); it was the licencing arrangement with GAB, as the AGX is the Gab HP. KYB made both these shocks, to GAB specs, but were limited to the N.American market. When GAB was sold to a Malaysian outfit, I guess that arrangement ended, and at the same time, KYB rationalised its range.

This grotty old Super Special has the same 4-way adjustment as the Mazdaspeeds

I suspect the AGXs are cheaper to make. The Mazdaspeed-KYBs seem to be near indestructible, given how long I’ve heard them lasting. AGXs on the other hand…Americans have had to make use of the lifetime warranty quite a bit.

Thanks for the help folks,

Cheers

Ben