MeisterR Sportive Coilovers

Hi all,

Has anyone got the MeisterR Sportive Coilovers?

I don’t want to spend loads on the better variants and I think it’s probably safe to say that they will be a good improvement over the stock Bilsteins with eibach 30mm lowering springs.

My biggest complaint with the current set up is that is just feels far too soft… The rear in particular feels very ‘wallowy’, unpredictable and bouncy and I really really want to stiffen it up.

Can anyone advise of their experience?

Good reports about them and they’ve just come into stock at Meister after months of waiting, so don’t hang around as they’ll sell out pretty quickly, I’d guess.

1 Like

This is how they come set up out the box. I’m happy enough with mine, but my original suspension was in a terrible state so these were bound to be an improvement.

I find them comfortable enough without being too soft. If I was modding it adding extra power then I would have gone for the crd’s.

I also added Michellin PS3’s all round at the same time which no doubt added to the handling.

Hi.
I fitted a set of MeistR Sportivs to my NB.
I chose them because of the price point.
I read the adjustable part of the description and thought that meant height adjustment. In fact it was only rate adjustment (unless someone can explain how they adjust for height?).
To adjust the ride height I’ve had to incease the spring rate, particularly at the rear which has compromised the ride and handling. The rear is quite bouncy now.
Additionally and rather disappointingly the coating has disintegrated on the springs after only a short time.
The old addage of “you gets what you pay for” applies here so if I could go back in time I’d advise myself to save a bit more money and buy some higher quality coilovers.
One more thing to mention is a loud rubbery squeaking from the rear suspension which wasn’t apparent before I fitted the MeistRs. :thinking:
It may be a coincidence as I haven’t been able to isolate what may be causing it.
HTH
Cheers, Guy

Hmm, interesting :thinking:

The website specifically mentions height adjustability… However I fired off an email earlier with a few questions, including how the height is actually adjusted… Bare with, I should have an answer for you soon!

1 Like

Hi Chris, I’m looking forward to your answers as I very much hope that they are height adjustable. That would help no end and would mean I could lower the rate at the rear to get closer to OEM ride quality again :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I’ve only ever read and heard good things about them. Would like to add them to my car.

Matt Watson (CarWow) raves about them on his personal YouTube channel after he fitted them to his Mk2 if you do a search. Well worth a watch.

2 Likes

[quote=“TOGs_driver, post:4, topic:123752, full:true”]Additionally and rather disappointingly the coating has disintegrated on the springs after only a short time.
[/quote]

Some things don’t change. Their previous efforts came from Asia, most opinion reckoned it was Taiwan. These shocks are meant to be “British made”, but is that actually British made or just assembled from imported parts?

I had previously a S-Limited onto which I fittedZeta Pros. The coating on the springs didn’t last that long, and there weren’t many miles on them when I sold the car. Sadly, a year later, the next owner suffered a couple of cracked coils, and then the hassle of procuring replacements.

I have 2008 P5 Puredrives, which I know won’t last much longer (huge mileage on them), but I also know that Performance 5 won’t be back.

2 Likes

Yes, and I quote from their page:

“----
The ride height setting range are optimised between:
Front: 11.8″ to 13.5″
Rear: 12.0″ to 14.0″
----”

The bottom of the assembly is a threaded cup. The lowest red ring is a locknut. The threaded body of the damper screws in to the bottom cup when the locknut has been slackened. There might be some slight adjustment here if the preload on the spring is to be kept the same.

The next red ring up the threaded damper is another locknut, stopping the third and highest red ring from moving down the threaded body of the damper. This adjustment changes BOTH height AND spring pre-load.

And don’t forget corner weighting, ie correct amount of up/down to match all four on the scales.

To make sure all eight settings are correctly adjusted, it is worthwhile to seek professional hands-on advice from an expert. There are several, for example Paul Roddison (Rodders) or Wheels in Motion.

This forum can offer outline info, but only at a distance, and random fiddling about might do more harm than good.

1 Like

That’s extremely interesting. I’m going to have to have a closer look at mine again now as I thought the ones I fitted only had two locking rings :thinking:
I appreciate the info. Please keep your fingers crossed for me that I’ve had it wrong all this time :crossed_fingers::pray:

Edit*
Does this look the same?

Are there the same number of lock rings?

MeistRr

These are the Sportives on the Meister site. The parts circled yellow are the height adjusting rings/body parts.

So am I understanding correctly that they can’t be adjusted properly if fitted, as the whole body needs to rotate?

Yeah, they don’t look the same to me :thinking:
My guess is that they’ve changed the design since I bought mine?
I don’t know if it’s apparent from the comparisons but the diameter at the bottom of the ones on the MeistRr site is larger than the threaded section. It isn’t on mine. :worried:
It looks as though they lower section can be wound in and out on the new version to adjust the height then locked off with the bottom ring. The rate is adjusted by the top two rings (adjustment and lock rings).
I couldn’t make the threaded section on mine twist.
Oh well, good for current customers. :+1:

Thanks for bringing all of this to light.
Cheers,
Guy

If you are worried about being too soft and you want to firm it up a bit I can highly recommend swapping your anti/sway roll bars for RX8 yellow dot. They are regularly available second hand on eyab.

Got to admit I’ve always been puzzled by your posts about the sportives but it does look like you are missing the lower ring.

As far as I’m aware they have always been height adjustable from the get go. The revision introduced just improved the amount of adjustment available.

Looking at your photo they differ significantly.
Mine have two springs on the front unit whereas the ones in yours are a single spring.
If you look closely at the image of mine you can see that there is no lower adjustment collar. The mounting point is part of the shock unit and firmly attached. It doesn’t twist to adjust length like the ones in your photo so doesn’t have the third lock ring.
All very curious :thinking:

Thanks for the Heads Up, the one week I hadn’t logged on and there they are… Thats me £500 lighter now!

Morning,

The response from them regarding height adjustment is:

The kit comes with C-spanners for the locking rings/collars.

The height measurement we state is measured from the wheel arch to the centre of the wheel.

The maximum height for the kit is about 340mm to 350mm. So this could be 20mm to 30mm lower than your model depending on variant.

Kind regards,

Already done that… The ARB’s make a significant difference to the cornering rigidity, but I’m referring to the actual softness of the rear suspension… On bad roads with dips etc the back end seems to really squat into them… It feels like it’s about to bottom out, though it never has.