Miata.net topic...let's man up

Think we need more manly topics on our forums

Gun safe

God bless America!!

1 Like

One of my students in Alabama used to keep a Beretta 0mm in his glovebox “for protection”, though it seemed to be more waving it at alarmed drivers during moments of road rage. He got busted for taking it onto the lab property, which happened to be State land (no guns permitted). Later on, I was amazed he managed to construct himself a successful career in the Navy, leaving as Commander.

They’re not all like this, by any means. And gun safes in cars are a serious thing, and a regular topic on miata.net. If you are going to keep a gun in a car, putting it in a gun sale is a pretty good idea.

Or if too big for a safe, bunjee cords work

I was out shooting a while back in Missouri. It felt incredibly awkward cradling that AR-15 at stop lights in the truck (it was too hot to put away in the carry case). The cop neighbour came running across the road when he saw me swinging it about in the street. But it was ok, he wanted to show off his iron sights on his service carbine,

As a British person who looks at guns from a distance, I really do not get guns. As I see it (and I realise this may be controversial) that there are only a couple of reasons for having a gun:

1. Personal protection - if this was the case, then surely anything more than a handgun is not valid. If you need to protect yourself, it is because someone is close to you and you are in fear of your safety. This would be in your house or in a particular place where there is a danger (I would not want to walk around some neighborhoods in the US late at night - options are to avoid that situation, or take a handgun I suppose if you HAVE to go, but even so, it would not end well I imagine if you needed to use it). In either case, a rifle or anything larger than a handgun would be no good. If you cannot protect yourself with a handgun, then the person is surely far enough away that you could just run? In a house a rifle would be unwieldly.

2. To go hunting or shoot at a target - in which case you would be going somewhere that enables you to do this. If it was a shooting range, then they could keep the guns for you and they could be released in controlled conditions. Once you left the premises, the gun would be left behind. If you were going hunting, then I am sure a lodge (or several if it was a large area) could keep guns available. You would go to the place, pick up your gun and return it once finished.

If you are in a city, I can see no reason why you would need anything more than a handgun (and I am sure that you really do not need this). If you live out in the country, say in the wilds of Louisiana, then you are in the middle of nowhere and that would be different. But if you travel into the city, you would not need to take your rifle with you.

As an outsider, it looks like it is down to the US citizens “right” and they do not wish to give this up, no matter how reasonable or not it may be. However I know this will never change as most politicians are sponsored by the NRA (as they are by oil companies) and are not going to bite the hand that feeds them. But to most non-Americans, we look on and see it is madness!!

Let the debate start (or not?)… I feel like I have just taken the pin out of a hand grenade and the grenade on a table :rofl:

4 Likes

I have always had guns. Other people don’t have to ‘get them’ as long as they don’t try to prevent me owning them. I keep mine in a secure place under lock and key. I have a large garden and enjoy plinking out there. I like it on the same way some people like walking a dog, some like drinking wine, some like fishing… There are people who would ban cars, say everyone should use public transport and bicycles. That wouldn’t go down well on here.
A gun isn’t for personal protection IMHO, it’s an opinion that I look upon with little favour. The hand full of stupid people that point guns at people, actually shoot people etc only serve to reinforce the negative images a lot of people have of guns and the responsible owners in this world.
I got into shooting from my dad, he had 6000 acres and used to shoot pigeon and pests all of his life. I used to shoot clay with him he was brilliant, I have shot skeet and pests but I like shooting those pesky metal disks in my garden really :rofl: For me shooting anything living doesn’t appeal, I’m not squeamish but I love to see the wild life not kill it, only exception would be if I saw a rat in the garden, or a mole popped above ground! I hate moles more than anything else :joy:

1 Like

Had a couple of tries at clay pigeon shooting at a friend’s house in their two acre garden way out in the country. Their guns don’t leave the property and they are pretty trustworthy, one a PC, the other an ex-PC.
They do use the guns to shoot rabbits that get through the wire fencing. On one occasion the lady of the house spotted a rabbit from the bathroom window. Fetched a shotgun, opened the window and let rip with both barrels. This came as a surprise to the gentleman of the house who was around six feet away through the wall sleeping off night shift.

1 Like

You have to understand both the geography and the mentality of America. To some, and not a small amount of “some” they would accept the compulsory removal and sale of a Kidney to the Russians before any form of gun control. Oh, I have known more than one farmer have to paint “COW” on each and every one of their herd during hunting season. When you see TV programs about how to teach your 5 year old how to use hunting rifles and watch said 5 year old shoot 4 or 5 dear during a program, you know it is not going to change.
Guess it beats going to Ikea!

I have guns, and competed for Team Scotland and Team GB at the highest level. Not so easy to leave your guns at the gun club if one week you are competing in Wales and the next in Germany. So there is a need to store and transport if you are a target shooter. And you can’t have one rule for ‘the elite’ and another for the club shooter. Where would you draw the line?

For ‘normal’ guns transport is generally in a locked case out of sight in the boot of the car. When I had section5 guns (prohibited weapons- in my case, 5 shot semi automatic pistols), the guns had to be locked to the chassis of the car. Each regional police force interpreted this rule differently and some had steel boxes welded in (which meant guns being taken out of the box and re packed into cases in car parks when stopped). My force (Surrey) were happy with a normal gun case with a lock and chain round a permanently attached luggage eye. Made it much easier for me, and also more secure as it was never a public spectacle loading or unloading the car.

1 Like

I agree that they can be used “for sport” and that is perfectly fine - I have been clay pigeon shooting a few times and it was great fun. I also appreciate that geographically the USA is very different. Also that there is a very strong feeling that the have a right to “bear arms” and this will never change. Still seems mad to me that you are allowed to walk around the streets with completely unsuitable high powered rifles etc

1 Like

I once left my baseball bat in the car by mistake after a caravaning weekend away and panicked just in case the police pulled me over and thought it was an offensive weapon. :grinning: