Mini Quads - anyone got any experience

I bought my grandson a mini quad, something for me to tinker with and something for him to enjoy.
I’ve knobbled the throttle, to the point that I have to give it a gentle nudge just to get the clutch to engage.
He’s riding it on my back lawn, 10 yards in one direction, I pick him up, spin it round, 10 yards in the other direction.
He’s only 3 and not truly ready for it yet, he’s figured out what makes him go and what makes him slow down, but he can’t reach the brakes, so I’ve that to modify.
also there are things I want to do with it to make it safer, plus buy safety gear, before I take him out for real…

I’ve ordered a kill switch with a lanyard.
My plan is, if I take him out on it, and it starts to run away with him, I’ll have the lanyard on a dog lead, which I can then yank out.

Anyone get any similar experience.

Not sure about Mini-Quads, but at 1 years old I was pretty happy with my 1969 Triang Chubby, pedal power, so way ahead of the eco-curve.

Did for a few years, until the pedals fell off and I had a headlight failure. Upgraded the steering wheel though.

Dog leads and a 3 year old doesn’t sound like a safe combo though.

1 Like

Bought one for my Nephew around 16 years ago…cheap Chinese 50cc…around £500 at the time. Came with lanyard pull out plug and also remote engine stop ( like your car zapper ). Both engine cut out devices worked great. Ran for around 10 years. Loads of photos of us all ( age range and weight range 50 - 10 years and 15 - 3 stones ! ) having a brilliant time riding it.
Finally died when nephew drove it in to the pond. Just sold it for €50 spares or repairs…Happy Days !