Miserable so and so's in Dorset!

I have a couple of thoughts on this issue,if I example my cycling experience, if you’re not riding the right bike-no reaction to greeting, if you don’t fit a ‘serious racer’ response totally ignored, overtaken by cyclist who thinks you’re playing at it … no greeting on passing! Fcking ignorant twts… there are a lot of people who are jealous and feel intimidated by sports cars…like mx5’s… it infuriates some and others who drive 400bhp jeeps, BMW’s etc feel that they have got to teach you a lesson in accelerating away from a traffic situation often in inappropriate places…unfortunately the world is full of richard heads…I usually try to be friendly in all situations in life, but increasingly I’m coming to the conclusion that kindness doesn’t pay in the real world…
And I’m not happy saying it…
Perhaps I’m feeling particularly down at the moment…

2 Likes

The further we to get into this year, the worse it seems to get, more bad news than good, if its not stabbings ,its hordes of people rushing to the coast en mass, and parking pooing and weeing where they can like animals, its people having raves and leaving the place with mountains of litter and debris, bearing in mind the virus us still around claiming hundreds of lives !.
Also fed up with bloody TV adverts , and as for other MX5 owners who cant be bothered to acknowlege a nod or wave , or havent figured out why someone in the same sports car to them is giving a friendly wave, the same as Motorcyclists still do, then balls to them

2 Likes

Frankly Bosley SWMBO & I are planning on adopting a more isolationist, but far from anti-social approach to lifestyle after all this is wound down. I read today the PM is sabre rattling over possibly isolating Leicester with their own re-introduction of Lockdown if things don’t get under control. It’s possible, with the behaviours you describe, this could pop up all over the UK as Cov-id, it is stated by those qualified to do so, will not actually disappear 100% and will linger to strike again in condensed post codes.
We are getting a Beco freezeguarded freezer in my workshop for back up stocks, and I’m building up shelving in the loft to gradually accumulate basic food stuffs & non perishables to enable us to mostly cut by I’d wager 80% of our old habit of ad-hoc “graze shopping”…to keep away from Joe Public as much as possible. For good.
We are not alone…there is a 600 family Q with Currys for our specific freezer, and we will not get it till end July but that’s fine. The Turkish factory was Cov-id closed, hence the backlog.
Apart from that, we will not be going to town, the movies, or restaurants for the rest of the year at least, and probably very little after that. We will only be going to reconnect with close family and the few close friends we have retained for decades, and we are told by them they are doing pretty mush the same…
Being either bloody minded or pragmatic, you choose, the rest of the UK can go to Hell in it’s own handcart I’m afraid. Joe Public has failed the attitude test. Wont’ stop me doing The 500 next year with a couple of southern trustees when they come up next year…life goes on.
Life changing times for us all. The trick is finding a good quality of life balance without becoming paranoid…just being careful & applying a degree of self preservation in this house is the goal. Being both 68 YOA last week, it focuses the mind.

4 Likes

I think people from Leicester should be sent to Coventry…

1 Like

Your not a bad judge, unfortunately I live in an over crowded and busy county where a lot of people now seem to be carrying on as if nothing is wrong, which, as they are learning in Leicester could backfire.
We are both in our early 60s and originally from London, our long term plan has always been to retire to somewhere far from the madding crowd, maybe the West Country or Norfolk as we already have relatives in these places, and the sooner the better.
The events of this year have brought out the best and worst of being British, many good people have given everything including their lives during this Pandemic ,and I salute them, but the selfish and often aggressive morons have come out of the woodwork in huge numbers, which has surprised a lot of people, including myself.
On a lighter note , we went for a drive today in the 5 , picnic packed, around the Suffolk B roads, absolute bliss, and for a few hours forgot about everything bad going on in the world :blush:
P.S. Saw several MX5s, and one waved back :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Someone waved at me in Dorset today, I only went there to find out if the non waving is true.
Happily I can report that all the MX5s I saw there returned the greeting. OK so I only passed three, but it is still 100%.

3 Likes

Sometimes I’m so caught up in the “smiles per gallon” driving that I don’t clock it’s an MX5 coming the other way until they’ve gone past aha!

1 Like

Yes I find driving slower helps too. :wink:

I wonder how many Caterham 7 drivers get a chance to acknowledge each other.
The last time I was driving around the Norfolk B roads, a 7 came flying around the bend like a Bat out of Hell , goggles on, head leaning to one side, huge grin, I done a double take , my wife said what was that!, I looked in my mirror to check out the back of it , and said yep a Caterham 7 :smiley:, it might of been one of those bonkers 620 brown adrenalin jobs, I gather they’re a right hoot, but can’t see the missus sitting in one all day, but there again …:wink:

Fair point, they are few and far between.
I was a passenger in one years ago and it’s how I imagine riding a scaletrix car would be.
I am a bit creaky and struggle to get out of the ‘5’ at times let alone squeezing in and out of one of them :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Bank balance don’t stretch either!!!

I gather they’re a right hoot, but can’t see the missus sitting in one all day, but there again …:wink:

Gaffer tape perhaps? :wink:

1 Like

I’m currently between MX5s but I always waved and always will when I get my next ND. I’m from Weymouth. ( I’ve seen a BBR 200 conversion 16 Reg which is tempting )

Now there’s a thought

:wave:

Years back a friend of mine had a wife (still has) and a yellow, silver-nosed Caterham Super 7 (went to Japan). She had a novel way of telling him that she was preggy, “If you want to be a Dad we need a car with suspension!” , needless to say they changed the car and have a family (now grown up).

I have recently bought my first MX5 and was delighted the first time I got a wave from a fellow owner. I live on the South Derbyshire and East Staffordshire border and the rate of responses is far greater on the Derbyshire side of the Dove

1 Like

I always give a wave to other mx 5 drivers when in mine
Not every one waves back

I’m in total agreement. I drive around the kent area and there are not many wavers back.
Where’s the camaraderie gone.

With the Mk1s.

1 Like

I have been known to wave from my MX5 support car which is an Audi A4 and I do get some strange looks.
It is Blue just in case I do it to you… :wave: