Missing wheel weights

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NC1
  2. I’m based near: __ Colchester
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ wheel weights

Hi all,

Firstly, I have no full understanding of these things. What are they?!?

Secondly my NC has started handling super weird through winter, at unexpected moments going light. At high speed getting vibrations, and then every so often over or under steering while nowhere near the limit.

I’m guessing I have some weights missing on my left rear. There is clearly adhesive where weights were. Any thoughts? See:

They are balance weights. Often fall off if a lazy fitter doesn’t clean the mounting area first. Typically there is a strong vibration at about 40mph and 80mph.

If tyres have been replaced, there will be residue from the previous weights where they were peeled off.

I think it’s more than a wheel weight issue. Things to consider checking, your tyres, the pressures are correct, what brand are they and do they match each corner. How much tread left and are they wearing evenly. Next up would be is the wheel alignment ok and also are the alloys running straight, not buckled?
If you can say everything is ok then look at other stuff.

Wheel weights are stuck on so you could have lost one or more. Sometimes the tyre fitter may leave the residue of glue from previously applied weights, looks like yours maybe the case. Vibrating from the front wheels is more noticeable from losing a weight or badly balanced, the rear ould be something else, brakes binding/sticking etc. that’s not to say the fronts can’t be affected this way.
A second opinion is worth a try, a trusted garage if you are concerned with the problem.

Bingpot on the speeds.

Wear seems even, Uniroyal all round with decent depth left.

My current bet is that the wheels are out of balance.

I’ve been waiting and waiting to get it into Vincent’s since i got it. Got to survive another month.

The calipers have all been replaced by the previous owner at a Mazda dealer in the last 3 years (he had 13 years of invoices), so I’m doubtful its being caused by brakes.

I personally take the wheels off the car now before having tyres done and take them loose. I remove the weights and clean any dirt and residue of the old myself before handing them over as most garages don’t care enough to take the time and some will quite happily stick new weights on over the top of old adhesive which will lead to them quite promptly falling off :+1:.