Mk 3.5 wet floor hardtop coupe

Hello everyone.

Just a short message from a newbie in Gloucestershire.

Bought my first MX5 a few months ago. It’s a Mk3.5 hardtop coupe. Love driving it but have got what I hear is a fairly common problem - a wet floor on the driver’s side. I believe this involves removing the plastic scuttle drain from the base of the windscreen and re-sealing. Does anyone know where I can get this done in Gloucestershire for a reasonable price?

I did mine myself with some good quality silicone. I’m no mechanic but it didn’t take me long. Plenty of videos on YouTube to consult.

It’s a really simple job to yourself.

It’s not the drain that’s a problem, normally, it’s the plastic inserts that sit in the metal scuttle for the screw that hold the plastic scuttle cover in place to screw into.
All you need to do is remove the two plastic caps that cover the screwheads in the plastic scuttle cover, remove the windscreen wipers, remove the now free scuttle cover and seal the inserts, having cleaned away the traces of the original biodegradable foam gaskets.
All you need is one screwdriver and one spanner.
It is unusual for it to be the drivers side though. It usually gets in via the tiny drain hole in the passenger side of the scuttle cover.

1 Like

Usually leaks into passenger side footwell but both need checking anyway and sealing, if not now it will at some point leak.
Do check other areas, there are the rear drains too just like the soft top I believe.

1 Like

You’ll likely break at least one of these caps, they are available here:

Hi there this something you could probably do yourself. Remove the plastic cover then use silicone. I’ve not had a problem since

Yeah this is too much fun for someone else to do and also paying someone’s else to have fun is so unappealing!

Well that’s not going to leak… :wink:

Yes, slide the seat forward and check for wet under and behind the seat.

It sure hasn’t :joy:

Yep, simple job. Did mine a couple of weeks ago just before the last storm moved in after I noticed the passenger side carpet was damp. Silly not to do both sides while you’ve got the cover off.

Nice and sunny in Gloucestershire today. Whereabouts are you?
I’m in a village a bit off the A40 to the east of Cheltenham.
Keep an eye out for this one.

Forgot to mention, I’ve had work done at Jworx Automotive in Bourton on the Water.
Small friendly business and very familiar with MX-5.

Brilliant, thanks everyone for the advice. I’ll have a go at fixing it myself.

In Cheltenham, so if you see a silver hardtop give me a wave.

1 Like

Good for you.
Even if the gaskets have not yet broken down, they definitely will, so in the event it doesn’t cure this particular dampness, you will be future proofing against the certainty of leaking into the passenger footwell that can also affect the car’s electrics.

1 Like