Mk 4 1.5 Sport Nav+ spec

Hi all,

We are on the verge of committing to get a new mk4 1.5 Sport Nav. Just wondering if somebody could confirm if there is any difference between the Sport Nav and the Sport Nav"+"?..have tried googling, but I only seem to get info back regarding the 2.0 ltr which I am aware has recently seen some significant changes (mainly engine?).

Just wondering if they have done anything with the 1.5?

Many thanks…

The engine has very minor tweaks to comply with the Euro6D emission standard and to optomise the fuel consumption for the new WLTP regulations. Nothing like the changes to the 2 litre cars power train.

Very minor colour changes i.e. the Soul Red Metallic is now a bit different and is called Soul Red Crystal, looks different when clean but the same after 100 miles of driving.

I think a new blue.

New Cup Holders!!!

Telescopic stearing adjustment.

Lane departue warning and a few other features.

Some more safety stuff like, I think city braking but maybe that was on the last model.

To be honest unless you had the two cars back to back, I think you would not notice the difference.

Slight tweak to the dampers and springs on the 2 litre maybe on the 1.5 as well.

…brill, many thanks…and great news about the cup holders

…now the cup holders are sorted should we go machine grey or red?

We have the 2019 model in arctic white, 1.5 132bhp sat-nav +, it has cloth heated seats, cruise control, climate control,  and so much more that the previous version sat-nav…and of course black trims and wheels…we do like the mpg of 48-50 mpg 

https://www.mazda.co.uk/configurator/MAZDA%20MX-5/2DR.OPEN/ here is the Mazda spec 2019 1.5 sel.nav +

Blue…

…thanks for that…a lovely colour…now another decision to make!

Search now over and decision made. Managed to get a local dealer to match our carwow quote and ended up with new a Sportnav+ 1.5 in machine grey, so hopefully we will be “MX5 ing” again soon…

Hi Stuboid

Before you finally place the order you should consider the 2 litre,price diff very small,i had the first mark 4 2 litre,and have just taken del of 2019 2 litre, on long journey my M.P.G cruising at 72 was 52 to gall amazing, the power delivery is very diff,you can drive hard on the gearbox,or you have the choice of cruising because of the power diff from the 1.5.

Whatever model you choose an amazing car,but both models very different.

All the best Simon

Hi and thanks for the advice. I did test drive both and preferred the 1.5, (admittedly the 2 litre may have been the previous spec), but I am happy with the 1.5. We may well “upgrade” to a 2.0 litre for our next one (and probably go “RF”), although we kept our last MX 5 form 17 years!

[quote=Limon]

Hi Stuboid

Before you finally place the order you should consider the 2 litre,price diff very small,i had the first mark 4 2 litre,and have just taken del of 2019 2 litre, on long journey my M.P.G cruising at 72 was 52 to gall amazing, the power delivery is very diff,you can drive hard on the gearbox,or you have the choice of cruising because of the power diff from the 1.5.

Whatever model you choose an amazing car,but both models very different.

All the best Simon

Hi All, Hope you don,t mind me jumping in on this post.   I sold my Mk3 couple years ago (having had mk 1 and 2) owned it for 7 years and thought it was a great car.  

I am thinking about the mk4 (2016 2l Recaro edition). How does it compare as a drivers car. How much technology / gadgets (safety features) do they have , ie to limit your driving experience . Can it be turned off ? 

Best Rgards, Chris 

We had a mk1, then a mk2 (.5) 1.8 which we kept for 17 years. Our original intention was to change it a few years ago for a mk3, but then they bought out the mk 4 and I much preferred the looks so thought we would wait a bit longer. As it happened we were still trying to decide whether to get a late mk3.5 (would have been a 2.0 ltr PHT), or “jump” a mark and get a mk4. After test driving both 1.5 and 2 ltr we decided to go for a mk4 1.5 which we have now had for about 5 weeks. Never having owned a mk3 I can’t really advice the difference, however a mate recently got a mk3 and I “had a go”. It seemed to feel generally a  “heaver” car and more like a “cruiser” than our mk2, and the mk4 seems to be more akin to our mk2.

As you would expect, the mk 4 does have more “tech”, and as for “driver aids” it only has the “stability control”, (at least I think that’s what it is"), and this does have an optional “off” button, not that I would ever bother turning it off.

Ours also has a lane departure warning system which again you can turn off, (this is turned off, but I would probably use it on  along motorway journey). It also has a speed sign detector which can be set to either “off”, “visual” or alarm, and you can set a “margin”. (ie operates if limit exceeded by the actual speed limit, or the speed limit +5 mph. I would have preferred a % factor, but there you go).

One of the reasons it took us so long to change was that every time I had a test drive I got back into our mk2.5 and thought it still drove so well in comparison! It was still “tight” and drove like new, and always felt a well sorted when out on the road. The 2.0ltr mk 4 also felt a “heavier” car in comparison to the mk 2 and the 1.5 mk 4, (again more like a “cruiser”).

As you would expect though the 2.0 ltr certainly had more “grunt” and required less gear changing. (Probably a better choice if you expect to do a lot of “touring”. Although for use the 1.5 is plenty good enough, (and returning 55mpg so far with cheaper insurance), and in real terms is not really any slower “point to point”…you pays your money etc…

Whatever engine / body / spec you get I can guarantee that it will certainly put a smile on your face and be fun!!..enjoy