Mk1 1.6 engine cutting out steady throttle

Hi all, had a new engine fitted to my 1990 1.6. It starts and runs ok and is very lumpy when cold, revs seem to drop and the car kangaroos a bit. Give it a mile or two and it settles and drives fine. 

If you then floor it, it’ll be fine till 4,500rpm  then stop again!

Any help would be good.

Am thinking maybe throttle position, crank sensor or injectors?

Cheers,

Did you swap the sensors from your old engine?  Might be something as simple as the temp sensor, if it thinks the engine is warmer than it is?

Similar to my NB 1.8. It was the throttle position sensor.

hi all thanks for the replies.

Haven’t got round to fixing this yet. After a few long drives it runs a lot better on normal driving (its running on v-power atm).

However it still seems to have this weird ‘lowered rev limiter’. Floor it and it’ll rev cleanly till about 5k revs and then stop. 

Could this still be the TPS?? Thanks :slight_smile:

Hello, did you resolve this ? I have a similar problem, car drives like a dream for the first few miles, revs to 7000 no problem then I get a problem where the car seems to cut out momentarily the ok then cut out again, the further I drive the worse it gets happening lower down the rev range. Thanks in advance.
Kind regards Dave

I did! It turned out to be the rear engine temp sensor (bizzare I know) and also I found a loose earth wire. So check all your earths first and then change that sensor.

No problems since. Good luck!

Thank you :+1: another thing to check, after checking fuel delivery, crank sensor and cam sensor :frowning:, again thanks, kind regards Dave