Mk1 1.6 Is gates water pump really better than OEM?

Going to replace my timing belt and water pump for the first time. I usually have only gone for genuine mazda parts with everything I’ve done thus far on the car. I was going to get the genuine mazda pump however I’ve seen some mention of the gates one being being an improvement as well as cheaper. Is this actually the case or are they pretty much the same?

EDIT: After taking off the old pump which I believe was OEM the fins on the gates water pump seem to be a couple mm longer. Meaning it probably can move an slightly increased volume of coolant for better cooling and seems to be same build quality as OEM. So think it’s well worth considering it’s also cheaper.

Hi.
I just bought and used a a Mazda waterpump but used a Gates belt on the recommendation of friends. The Gates set I bought was £95 and came with both pulleys. No fitting problems.

HTH

Gates - cast impeller rather than a pressed one.

Use Gates belts too.

Does the genuine mazda water pump use a pressed impeller? For the price tag I assumed it would have a cast one. I went with the gates water pump as it is cheaper and seems to be of good quality from what I’ve read online. It claims to be better than stock on the product page from Bofi racing and I just wanted to know if this was true? I already replaced my belts recently with gates I was more just asking about the water pump itself.

1 Like