Mk1 2nd gear is stiff - clutch fluid? 🤔

I noticed it was difficult changing into 2nd (mk1 K reg Japanese import SE). i had someone fill up the transmission oil from underneath last week, but it’s no better. :disappointed:

re the attached pic (that isn’t my car btw. it was just to help explain) - should i take the black cap of the cylinder & see if it needs filling up? when i unscrew it and get to the white seal - do i take that off as well or can i pour through it? the cap says dot3 only. so at least i know which to get. :blush:

it says on cap - wash 1st, does it mean the black cap? :thinking:

what else could it be? :anguished:

forgot to attach pic! :laughing: it’s been a long day :sleeping:

The white comes out. When it says “wash”, ignore, or certainly, don’t use water. The clutch reservoir should be full. If its not, your clutch pedal will be on the floor, or very little pressure from then pedal. Top off with brake fluid.

When cold, the Mk1 1st to 2nd is stiff; it varies from car to car. Mine slices like a SMLE, but maybe I’m used to these after 20+ years…

Changing the gear box oil sometimes helps, especially to a motorsport grade, like Redline. Sometimes it doesn’t. If you are having the il topped off, something is wrong (ie a leak).

In addition, you have the turret oil; a seperate reservoir accessible from within the car. Around 90mls of gear oil lubricates the shift mechanism, and is contained by a rubber boot. More than likely, your is split, and doing nothing except let crud in. Remove the gear knob, centre console (5 screws), unplug the power window block, take off the bits of insulation.

There is a upper boot. Ths will be in peices. Some 10mm bolts hold it in. Remove, throw away. There you will see the gearbox turret. ake sure the shifter is in neutral. Remove the 3 10mm bolts, and with a cloth to hand, remove the gear lever, with the boot attached. Remove the old boot, and fit a new one. use a turkey baster or syringe to get out as much oil as possible. I usually do a few changes to get it clean. Same oil as the gearbox. Dn’t brim it with oil

Someone elses instructions and photos:

https://www.miata.net/garage/trans/18.htm

All the bits you need:

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/gearlever-shift-boot-package-genuine-mazda-mk1-25-p-1111.html

Replacing the bushing on the end is highly recommended.

1 Like

thanks Saz!
this helps loads. the clutch feels absolutely normal.
even though the transmission oil was topped up (by lifting car & pumping it in from underneath) - i should still change gear box oil? it doesn’t go into same place?

i’ve watched a vid on taking central panel out & gear stick out. thanks for those pics & links tho. very thorough. :+1: appreciate very much. :+1:

do i have to use same oil that was pumped into transmission from undernearh?

Use the same oil.

The oil in the gearbox shouldn’t need topping up. The turret oil is completely seperate.

1 Like