Mk1 (and others?) engine cooling fan sensors compared

I need to fit a new engine cooling fan sensor and so ordered a non Mazda part from a reputable company. I then read accounts online of people breaking the cheaper parts and wishing they had bought original Mazda. Given that this thing is expected to be a pain to change I don’t want it to snap off in place or fail early so bit the bullett and ordered a genuine Mazda part for about twice the price. 

I’m not qualified to have anything against ‘patent’ parts - in fact I was very happy to order non Mazda hoses but it was interesting to compare the two sensors. Differences include that the genuine part is:

• Noticably heavier and just looks beeter made
  • The contact terminals are copper plated and thicker
  • The mounting thread is longer
If anyone would like a free green one please let me know but look at the pictures first.

I want to stress I’m not knocking non OEM parts - but in this case I thought there was an obvious and significant difference.

The green sensor looks like an ECU temperature sensor for a 1.6, but the grey one is a fan switch, completely different part.

Genuine 1.6 ECU Water thermister:

Pattern version

The sensor for the fans sits on the thermostat housing, entirely different part.

1.6 sensors;

1.8 sensors

1.6 fan sensor

Hi Saz

’The green sensor looks like an ECU temperature sensor for a 1.6, but the grey one is a fan switch, completely different part.'

No, both parts in my photo are ECU temperature sensors for a 1.8 Mk1. But you are kind of proving my point about how different the aftermarket part is from the orginal.

Cheers.