MK1 audio cutting out Clarion CRX87R

1. My model of MX-5 is: NA
  2. I’m based near: Cambridge
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Audio cutting out on Clarion CRX87R, default speakers

Hi all,

I’ve found my audio has been cutting out recently; some days it works fine, some days it cuts in and out, some days it’s much quieter than usual and some days it is silent. Usually it goes from 20 minsish driving in silence then it will begin cutting in and out. I don’t think it is an issue with the aerial, as the symptom is silence rather than static noise. Only one of my speakers is currently working (I think the other blew), so unfortunately I can’t be sure whether the issue is with the head unit or the remaining speaker.

Before I start trying to diagnose the issue, does anyone know if there are any common problems with this head unit or OEM speaker which would cause these symptoms? Also, the head unit has some security barriers photographed below; does anyone know if there are any security systems which might hinder my diagnosing behind the unit?

Thanks,
James

I used to have these face-off units a few years ago, not this brand though. Looking at that security label seems like there’s a small button maybe makes contact with the removable control panel, is that the security, no panel it doesn’t work?
Noticed also the contacts left side appear out of line lower down the row, could this be the problem with hit and miss sound/reception? Maybe worth a little gentle jiggling with those and some contact cleaner as a starter?

Thanks for the suggestions, I gave the contacts a quick blast with contact cleaner and it seems to have improved! Since the issue is intermittent I’ll give it a few more sprays and see if the issue does stay away over the next few days. No complaints if the fix is this nice and easy!

1 Like