Mk1 Berkley....is it worth restoring?

Great record of a comprehensive restoration. Thanks for sharing. Can’t wait to see it painted and back together.

Quite remarkable.
That’s it good for another couple of decades.

Wow that’s some project and also some great welding work being done.
I see in the background a VW split screen camper van or bus. Had one back in my 20’s a Devon conversation, same colour as that in the picture, it was D reg (1966) that eventually succumbed to the rust. Whilst not in use I spent a good deal of time back then de rusting it, it was a never ending task in the 70’s especially rebuilding the two side doors. Nothing as epic as your project, looking forward to see the end result.:+1:

I have been stripping the car for a proper full respray, so all the rubbers and trims have been removed around the windscreen. The boot rack has been removed and the door handles and window strips removed.
I have unscrewed all the nuts from around the back of the soft top and removed the metal brackets with the intention of removing the one piece rubber strip from around the back.
However, I am not sure how it is fixed on and don’t want to damage it. Does anyone know how it comes off please. Photo below.

It is now all wrapped up until Dave at Halifax Bodyshop can start on it next week.
The windscreen is due to be removed prior to painting and a new one has been ordered as the original has started to delaminate at the bottom.

The beltline is bonded in place. A lot of bodyshops don’t like taking it off because there is a high chance it will break, and a replacement is expensive.

Many thanks for that. I don’t think I will risk removing it as, like you say, they are expensive. I just hope that once painted it doesn’t start to peel where it finishes.

Without removing it, they won’t get a clean edge. I’ve had a few cars repainted over the years, and this is the bit, after painting, that starts to look a bit scappy after a few years.

New part:
https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/beltline-moulding-mk1-p-1218.html

I saw that, but they don’t have any in stock, so don’t want to remove it without a new one on standby. I know what you are saying and don’t want ti spoil it at the last hurdle.

They are also bolted in I took mine off when I painted mine came off ok.

Well I managed to collect the wheels from Andover. Set off at 0745 and arrived back home with the wheels at 1750. They will need a refurb as they have been kerbed , but look good apart from that.

I managed to remove the beltline trim after unbolting it. It came off easily and will be used again. However, the rain channel has seen better days. It looks like it has been taped numerous times before and is cracked. Should I replace it?

On Monday, the dent person is going to be sorting the doors and then all panels will be removed ready for prep and paint.

Does anyone know if these are available. They fix the rear bumper to the body and both have the screw stuck and will need replacing.

I’ve been trying to get the car ready for full respray. Dent man has done his thing on the doors. Bonnet off, DA’d and flatted as are both wings and front bumper. Doors also off.
Picked up the new rain channel and door weather strips purchased.
As I start a new job on Monday and am in Scotland all week, I won’t be able to check on progress until next weekend.

3 Likes

The rear wheel arches and sills have been filled and today a spray filler has been applied ready for blocking and then 3 coats of primer. Unfortunately I don’t think it will be ready before the end of August.

4 Likes

What a credit to you. Looking great already and it’ll be lovely to see it completed.

Excellent work.

I have been busy with a new job, so haven’t had time to update any photos on here. It is also now on Instagram under Doug_mx5

1 Like

Well, whilst i was working away I received the following photographs from Dave Scotton at Halifax Bodyshop.

8 Likes

Body done so I can start to put it back together whilst he paints the doors, bonnet, boot and other small parts. Should be ready for winter storage!

4 Likes

Love the colour!