Mk1 Berkley....is it worth restoring?

Ive really enjoyed reading this thread! Please keep adding to it OP if you do anything further… or just some summer pictures of the finished car would be nice when the weather improves.
All the best :slight_smile:

Decided the heater control panel needed some attention so fitted a JassPerformance cover. Fitted a new Alpine stereo whilst I was at it. Sounds awesome with the new Alpine speakers too.

Having removed the centre console and tombstone panel I disco ered the rubbwr gearbox and gear stick rubbers had perished. New genuine ones from MX5Parts ordered and fitted.

After much searching I managed to get 4 correct wheel centres. The metal Mazda mitifs on the middle has totally gone so i had them filled flat and painted and stuck on some M centres. Fit perfectly.

The finished item. I have managed to find a garage for the winter next to a mk2. This lady is 86yrs old and still drives it when she gets chance. Only 39000 miles on the clock too.

6 Likes

Nice looking cars. I hope I can actually get in mine in 10 years time, that’ll be an achievement at 76yrs old the way the old body is going, well done that lady.:+1::heart:

What does the switch do under the stereo? Looks like a light switch of some kind… My 96 merlot has a blank there. Always wondered what it could be used for.

Power mirror switch, main beam adjustment

1 Like

A typo I guess?
Isn’t it the electric door mirrors switch? :thinking:

Sorted now :+1:

Barrie

1 Like

It sure looks like one rather than electric windows :man_shrugging:

These cars didnt have a lot of extras but there are a few blanks in the cockpit. Nice to find out what they were / could be used for.

Hats off to you.
A fantastic job and no heated double garage to do it in.
Congratulations…

You haven’t mentioned your Father in Law’s reaction.
He must be well impressed at what you’ve achieved.

He was very impressed. I sent him regular updates and photos. He can’t wait to go out in it next year when we are safer. I have o ly done about 100 miles in it and cant wait until next year to get out on some runs. Planning on replacing the radiator and hoses as my father in law only did short trips to the bookies. Preventative measures!

2 Likes

COVID fog I suppose. Corrected

1 Like

What an amazing project and transformation Pete, really is stunning! Impressed how quickly you have been able to do all this, and seeing the end result it’s pressi ng me to get my finger our and get stuck into Mindy to get her done. Everything you’ve done is what I want to do to mine. Only done a few things so far including new hood, new interior and new springs and shocks. Mine looks the same underneath when you started the project, so hoping its the same and just surface rust on the components. Hats off to you sir, this project is inspiring!

Chillax! Not heard from you for a while? Think you were moving house or downsizing cars or something? Apologies as my memory fails me a lot these days :grimacing::grimacing:
I know you’ve not been well so hope things are OK with you.
Best regards
Barrie

1 Like

When I saw “berley” I tought - break it up??? But then realised it wasn’t one of these … Berkeley Cars - Wikipedia

Well, after 7 months in a garage over winter I taxed it and booked it in for the MOT at the same garage as last year. It started first turn and passed with no advisories. Mechanic couldn’t believe the transformation. There are still a few minor rust issues underneath, which I couldn’t reach last year. The mechanic has offered to lend me his pit so I can sort them out at some point.
Took it for a drive to Grange Over Sands on Friday and it went like a dream. Lovely to drive and pulled well. Sunday was the fitting of new StoneyRacing silicone hoses and Japspeed alloy radiator as the original was changing colour and possibly on its way out. New heater seals fitted while the hoses were off.

1 Like

6 Likes

What a brilliant read and transformation. I really admire anybody who has the expertise or even the confidence to take on something like this. I just about know where to put the petrol in .

1 Like