MK1 Eunos Cutch Issue won’t go into gear

1. My model of MX-5 is: MK1 Eunos 1992 V Spec
  2. I’m based near: Hounslow
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on:

I was driving my Eunos on Christmas Day to take advantage of the free ULEZ. It was a barn find and I have owned it over a year and it always had a fairly soft clutch which had a clicky sound half way through engagement.

On that particular day the clutch was extremely soft and I could not gauge the binding point as I normally would and just thought it was me not having driven it regularly. I took it for a spin on a 40mph A road and gave it some when warmed up and when I reached a set of lights I noticed one point when I really had to squeeze in into gear. I decided to go onto more quiet 20mph roads and luckily I did as I reached a point when it would not go into gear at all and I could not force it to do so. Luckily I was able to quickly pull up to a parking spot on the side of the main road and get the car towed home. It will only go in gear when the engine is not running.

Is this likely to be the clutch cable? How do I go about investigating it

It’s a hydra clutch, most likely t o the the slave cylinder. It’s visible though the right front wheel arch if you turn the wheels on left lock and look rearward of the wheel. Check for fluid leaks into or out of the rubber bellow. To change it, it unbolts from the side of the gearbox with 2 bolts plus has a fluid line. There is a guide to replacing one in the member downloads area of the club website.

1 Like

Sounds very similar to the problem I had with my 2005 NB. It was resolved by replacing the slave cylinder. I also had the master cylinder changed at the same time to be on the safe side.

1 Like

I’ll third that, probably slave cylinder.
On both my Mk1 and MK2 I changed them out when taking ownership as a matter of course. The Mk1 in particular had started to leak and squeak. Easy job and go from there if it doesn’t solve your gear change problems.
If diying, loosen the fluid line connection first before attempting to remove the bolts holding the slave on, much easier that way.

1 Like

If it’s always been soft it sounds like it’s got air in , you may get away with just bleeding it if there’s no visible leak

1 Like

Hi, change the slave cylinder and if you are not worried about originality go for the modified short pipe which doesn’t go over the bulkhead and back to the slave, excellent results.

1 Like