Mk1 pop-up headlight winking

Apologies if this has been answered before,

my Mk1 1989 has a winking headlight, I have check motor and this is working fine, the relay switch is also clicking when activating headlights. I originally thought I’d found the issue with a cable connection that had a slit in wiring, have re-fitted a replacement socket connection and the wiring from the point of split cable, still no joy! will it be a case of replacing the wiring all the way back to relay switch? 

The motor has lost it’s stopping point, you need a new/s-hand lift motor, give Autolinkmx5 a shout.

M-m

As ever, Mazda Mender is correct.

Alternatively, it’s just being friendly like a labrador puppy. 

Two replacement motors didn’t sort it for me (one of the headlamps being out of step from the other), so there must be other causes (which might include a breakdown in 25 year wiring). I’m assuming I need to get around to replacing a relay (a used relay didn’t do anything either, but perhaps I was unlucky, and need to source a new one). Right now, its a minor annoyance. Only reaches comedy value if I turn the lights on rapidly on-off, then they lose the plot.

The motors are sided, and it seems not all suppliers will have equal quantities of both. Also, I don’t think there is any difference between 1997 MK1 and 1989 Mk1 motors, which might help a bit.

I think the cars (Mk1s) are getting old enough now, for new problems to start cropping up, that are age, not wear related, and possibly different solutions.

Mine did that turned out to be a faulty headlight relay replaced it both fine now

I don’t think I quite explained myself well The driver’s side headlight pops up fine it’s the passenger side that won’t pop up, as I say the motor on passenger side works fine when checked on diver side connection, just not on the passenger side, so as I said had issue with wiring up by the female connector so replaced this, but still not working and no power either when checked with multi-meter.

Could also be a bad earth.

M-m

Yep, that as well, some earths are in really hard to reach places. eg. TPS is behind the dash. I had a break somewhere (likely around the oily bits around the back of the engine), and it was easier to splice in a new earth to the TPS.

Bad earths on the MX5 are nothing compared to bad earths on the Jag (all aluminium, so galvanic corrosion is rife).

1 Like

Thanks will trace the earth wire back to an endpoint and try and find out if any problems.

I’d suspect a faulty retractor relay. It could be as simple a dry solder joint on the circuit board. The retractor relay will be under the dashboard, usually grey in colour with black print on it.

OK thanks, presume just may need re-soldering if so? have checked earth point by wiper motor and all seems ok with white ground box.

Right have checked under dash the grey box you reffered about is a hazardlight and turn signal relay for mine, my relay i have found is in engine bay passenger side as car is eunos 1989model. The relay i reckon is fine due to drivers side working, so i’m guessing next area to look is at the wiring joint where drivers side and passengerside headlight motor wiring would split off? (when look at Haynes wiring diagram) 

Finally found problem! after stripping some of covering back towards relay, came across that copper had corroded, sorted this and now motor is working fine. Thanks for all the advice 

1 Like

Ia that right by the headlight?

is underneath where headlight frame sits,