Mk1 tyre recommendations

Hi need to replace my tyres on mk1 1.8. Standard daises and OE suspension. Currently on pirelli P1 interested in thoughts on Michelin pilots etc but not looking for budget tyres.

I fitted Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (195/50R15) to my mk1 in March and did 700miles so far. Really pleased with them. Mostly city driving with a bit of overzealous A and B roads and then some motorway. Massively improved the ride and grip from the budget tyres that were on there before (fitted by the previous owner). I had a set of goodyear efficientgrip performance on a mk1 MR2 I had before the mk5 and so far I prefer the Michelin. The Goodyears were a bit hard and less forgiving on poor quality roads and road bumps which is the norm where I live. Hope this helps

Thanks for your thoughts and interestingly I have a mr2 mk1 too. What alloys do you have the pilots on out of interest are they 15"

Yup 7x15 Enkei RP01s.

Pilot sport 3s are a good all rounder I always used daily in my 182,
Since needing something wider Ive opted for 215/50/15 Toyo proxes tr1’s (the newer ones) and they’re far better than the previous t1r’s, and so far they’re great in the dry at my current power level. (And quite cheap)

If they start to struggle once I up the boost a bit more I’m going to try out r888’s but the price difference is huge

Over 16 years, I think I’ve had 5 sets of tyres…I do tend to wear them quite rapidly.
Cannot get the outmoded 14" Toyo now of course of “ye olde”. They were epic back in the day.
2 years back during the car’s refurb I took a punt on these:
RainExpert 3’s.
Anyhow, check the date on the sidewalls if you have luck finding any.
I paid ÂŁ45 per, fitted and balance for 185 x 14s.
Jolly good rubber. Very good mechanical grip and so far so good on wear.
Very good NVH, best run at 26psi I’ve found. They do not squeal in hard use.
I don’t detect any tread block movement when pressing on either…they just cling on.
Eventually they will “send an email” up the steering if the limit is coming up…nothing sudden.
Found them cheap on Demon Tweaks I think…was busy so memory and all that…
Never driven in rain…the car is dry only now. I just wanted decent budget rubber and seem to have got lucky

Look good on a Mk1 too in my opinion.

2 Likes

Running the new Toyo TR1’s on our Mk2.5 and I think they are a great tyre at a great price. Have also run the Uniroyal Rain Expert on other cars and I rate those too, good in the dry and the rain. Both good contenders and worth a look, especially at their current price point.

I used to buy Pirelli P1 and P6 a lot, but can no longer convince myself they are worth the premium. I firmly believe there’s better tyres and better value to be had for less money.

3 Likes

I also have Uniroyal Rainexpert 3’s on my MK1. They’re great.

As it happens I just fitted the same a few months back…they were quite cheap.
I’'d say they seem a tad harsher than years back so I tried 24psi from cold…of course they will pump up a bit after a run…and that probably gets them to around 26 PSI.
I do not think the side walls are quite as squidgy. Older ones reminded me of the venerable Grand Prix S that allowed my company Avengers ( 1600cc Estates I will have you know) corner rather more quickly than Linwood had in mind. :sweat_smile:
Noticeably better at 24 from cold. These PSIs are not written on stone tablets. Less twitchy & bump steery for sure.
And yes, the alignments are bob on… middle of the road “fast road” settings.

Wonder how cool my Roadster would be wiv white lettrin’ gov?

Any thoughts or any one running dunlop sport bluresponse as was thinking of going that route

When were you “thinking” that? Could have saved a shed full of time.
This is the sort of thing my Long Haired Domestic Camp Commander has be doing to me for decades…

Sorry not trying to waste peoples time was generally interested in all the options and there is a lot of mixed opinions. Since the tread started ive been looking at what was recommend and available still Was just putting out if the blue response was a good choice? as it is available and was also recommend elsewhere.

I’ve never had BlueResponses on my MX5.

I did have them on my previous daily, a 2002 Golf TDI. I found them to be a really good all-rounder. The only downside was the rate of wear. I don’t drive my daily’s hard, I drive for no dramatics, and for economy…, yet the rate of wear was greater than I’m used to.

As said, though, otherwise a very good all-rounder, in my experience.

Ive got Dunlop Sport Blueresponse on my NA. 195/50/15’s. Ive had no performance issues but they are starting to show cracking on top of the treadpattern so for that reason I will have to change them soon

If you dont want to spend too much, Maxxis Premitra HP5 is recommended in this Tyre Reviews Test. Appears ideal for the spirited dry weather motoring that you are likely to do in your MX5.