Mk2.5 1.6 vs MK1 1.8

I’ve got the choice between either a mk2.5 1.6 or a mk1 1.8…I’m planning on buying one of them as a project car to turbo but I’m finding hard to decide which one! The mk2.5 is in better condition overall but both are mechanically sound.

I’ll be happy with around 200bhp at the wheels as a final output.

What I’d like to know is;

1. What are the differences in terms of parts needed for turbo (I understand the VVT will change possibly the ECU needed and other stuff)

2. If I go for the 1.6 will I end up just buying everything from a 1.8 to put onto it?

3. If I get the 1.6 will I be able to get 200bhp out of it with a fairly basic turbo set-up and injector change?

4. Is it true the rods on the 2.5 1.6 are prone to bending over 200bhp?

It would be great to hear from someone who has actually turbo’d either of these but any help is appreciated!

No VVT on the Mk2.5 1.6L AFAIK! Ideal car IMHO for power boost.Don’t go over 200 bhp though.

Oh okay is it only the 1.8 mk2.5’s that have VVT then? Does that mean I could just use the normal mk2 turbo bits…?

How come it’s an ideal car for power boost? And why shouldn’t I go over 200bhp?

Sorry for delay, dinner break!
Yes, the 1.8 has VVT, but not the 1.6. Traditionally a few years back, we had some real experts on turbo and supercharging in the Club - most have left now, and I gave up reading their stories at the same time.
Their contention was the 1.6 engine had thicker sidewalls (I assume the block size is the same as the 1.8)
and so was more suitable for charging. The 1.6 has a somewhat springier suspension than the 1.8 - especially the Sport model, plus smaller brakes and discs, so you need to think about uprating those parts. Some look for Sport brakes,shocks, and springs. Or they go for upgrades.
The 200 bhp limit is about the limit for the con rods especially, more than that and you could bend or break one or more. Having said that, we had a member a few years back who ordered a built engine from a well known UK source, so using the existing block they fitted quality con rods, pistons etc and a Turbo. This was a Mk2.5 1.8L, possibly a Sport, just forget now. Anyway - the end result 250 bhp. However, he was tooling along the motorway up Manchester way one day, when BANG - it threw a rod out the side of the block. This developed into a major issue with the people who did the upgrade, but IIRC it was eventually fixed, don’t know the details, but a block with a hole in the side isn’t funny.

Motto - bigger isn’t necessarily better, and be careful what you do and what you buy.
I’ve considered various forms of upping the power, but finally concentrated on shifting gear better, so that solved any issues I had about loss of power. When you’ve had a V8 or two, the difference is evident.
I’m no expert by the way, if you want to progress, then ask someone who is. Depending where you are, this guy is rated highly by some for upping performance, but they may be too far from you. www.5speed.co.uk

Thanks for the reply! OK sounds like the mk2.5 1.6 is a good option, should be OK to run at 200BHP… I will be doing all the work myself but may be good to chat to them for some professional advice.