Mk2.5 1.8 Sport Brakes fitted to MK2

Hi Guys, first post on here.

I have a mk2.5 sport and also and mk2 Sport, not the s, the actual sport limited edition, in red (only 600 made and I think it looks pretty cool and will eventually have a turbo fitted).

My question is… how hard is it to take the bigger mk2.5 brakes off and swap them onto my mk2? I have heard it should just be a straight swap, but some people seem to think different? Kinda hoping someone has already done it and can guide me a little.

Also kinda wondering if there is any point in the first place… I know they are bigger, but are they that much more effective?
Thanks for the responses!

Hello Ben,
I believe it should be a straight swap if you change the carriers and discs at the same time. The brakes are pretty good standard, but if you have the option more braking power is always good. Under the moto more is better when you need it.

The servo is different on the big brake setup compared to the normal brakes. It’s a tandem servo on the standard brakes but a bigger diameter on the big brakes, no idea how the normal servo functions with the big brake setup.

Yes, brake components a straight swap with the decision as to upgrade the servo?
Only potential issue is the wheels and whether they clear the calipers. Just swap a couple onto the MK2.5 to check.

That’s for the responses guys, okay fantastic, going to be my Sunday job I think.

Think I will start with just the brakes, see how they feel, then if need be… change the servo!

And yes test fitting the wheels first sounds like a plan, didn’t even think of that :man_facepalming:

Hi, did my first track at Brands last week in my 2002 MX5 which has the bigger brakes, got bad overheating and judder after each 15 minute session, don’t know what pads the car has but am looking to replace the front disc’s and pads, does anyone have any advice please, EBC Disc’s and Green stuff pads cost around £180 but someone mentioned Mintex M1144 pads, any thoughts would be appreciated before I splash out :wink: