Mk2.5 1.8 temperature gauge

1. My model of MX-5 is: __2003
  2. I’m based near: __holywell
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __hi everyone. Im having a issue with my temperature gauge. When the car is warm my temperature gauge sits at the C on the gauge. My heaters are blowing hot air and iv put a new temp sensor in. Iv had my scanner on it and it stays around 90c. Tia

You’re going to have to chase the wiring back to the instrument cluster, check that and find out if it’s a wiring problem, gauge problem of instrument cluster problem. 1 of the 3 wires from the temperature sensor should be Violet/White, this is the wire that goes back to the instrument cluster. It arrives at the back of the instrument cluster at the end of one of the 2 plugs that are plugged into the back of it. My first check would be to check continuity of that wire.

1 Like

Ok thanks mate. I will check the wires tomorrow. Its been working fine. Then all of a sudden it stopped working

Are your from the Holywell near St Ives, Cambs?

No mate. Holywell North Wales

OK. it was just the Holywell I was thinking about is near me and I have a spare instrument cluster should you have wanted to swap the gauge to test it.

1 Like

My mistake. Thanks for the offer though bud

Update. Tried a new cluster and still no change. I have continuity it the wire that goes from the sensor to the gauge. Im a bit stumped what to try next

Does everything else on the cluster work? With the ignition on, does the gauge move if you ground the wire that goes to the gauge?

Everything else works. The temperature gauge does move but only just over the cold mark. I haven’t tried earthing it out

Probably worth checking the resistance of that wire then rather than just continuity.

I have just earthed the gauge out and it goes straight to hot

1 Like

Have you checked resistance through the wire?

No i haven’t mate. Im a bit of a noob with electrics how shall i test it and and what should i be looking for

The same way that you tested continuity but set your meter to ohms.

Ok thanks mate. I will have a look tomorrow

I have resistance in the wire. Not sure what else to try

Left my car running today. Fan kicked in at 95c then dropped to 85c. I know its only a dummie gauge but its some sort of indicator which is more then i have atm. The temperature gauge goes to the first line but wont go any higher

There shouldn’t be resistance in the wire. How much resistance is there?

00.1 as i said im a noob at electrics mate