Mk2.5 shocks & springs

Hi folks

Mk2.5 face lift owner.Mx5 parts appear to be out of stock of rear shocks for standard coils & absorbers.I intend to replace front & rear at same time.Deffo do not need coil overs & do not need adjustable.Has anyone found a better site than mx5 parts to purchase a full set?my mx5 has original suspension that is rock hard hence upgrade needed.Grateful for any advice.

Try Autolink (UK).

MX5Heaven are selling the Aussie made Pedders brand, which might be an interesting alternative to no-name Chinese pattern shocks.

https://mx5heaven.co.uk/product-category/mazda-mx5-mk2-mk2-5-new-used-parts/mazda-mx5-mk2-steering-suspension-shocks-wishbones/mazda-mx5-mk2-shock-absorbers-springs/

Reasonable price, not much in the way of reviews.

They’ve run short though of kits with a bumpstop includes. I’m assuming these shocks will take the OE Mazda bits.

Many thanks guys for both replies.I had heard of pedders but didnt  know they were from Oz.They are on ebay & alot cheaper product so wasnt sure about quality.

???..ps i was going for the shocks & springs as never had bumpstops & dont know what the difference or benefits are of bump stops??

You already have " coilovers". The bump stops are the small bits of rubber, which you also will have if on OE shocks, which stop the shocks from botoming out.

Oh…do i?i was under the impression standard shocks & springs are two different things… .i haven’t got coil overs on as far as i knw & .i can see my car;())

Standard shocks & springs are coilovers.

Not adjustable as some of the more fancy versions, but coilovers non the less.

I am a bit confused regarding your original post. " mx5 has original suspension that is rock hard hence upgrade needed".

Your suspension will not get “harder” with age, but will get “softer” and sloppy.

Are your tyre pressures correct, has the car got polybushes fitted…original mk2.5 suspension is far from rock hard…are you sure it is OE?

You are confused as are may others.

The MX5 has shock absorbers with a welded bracket about half way up it’s length that act as the bottom spring support. Therefore the cars has what’s known as “coilovers” or coil springs over the shock absorbers. There are people on this forum who think that the spring and shock absorbers kits that are available aftermarket are called “coilovers” and that is different from the standard set up which as explaned is a “coilover”.

See here

https://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/suspension_diagrams.php

Yes a Lady with a Mk1 with Bilstiens and it was rock hard.

Reduced the tyre pressure from 38psi to 26psi helped a lot but the bottom shock absorber bushes had gone hard as well.

To the original poster what colour are the shocks. Black or Yellow

Eddie Cairns…many thanks that is exactly my point…thanks to you & everyone else for replies much appreciated …i no longer confused.Also i am reasonably handy with my Mx5 just needed to think out loud…1st time i used this forum for support…& to the person asking the colour of my shock absorbers…they are black & the suspension is stiff…when i say hard dont take it too literally …i guess we all have different sensors in our behinds ??.Cheers guys

Usual Bank Holiday 10% off everything at MX5parts - click ^ link at top of this page.

I found my 1999 MK2 1.8Is was on the hard side and after say 4 hours that is 2 hours drive, one hour for lunch and another 2 hours driving it got to be on the hardish side. I can do longer than that with the Mk3 nd the Mk4.

Adjusting the seat to make sure when my right leg pushed the cluch, the seat was adjusted that I got the clutch hard against the firewall rather than nearly there did help.

Like all things one persons hard suspension is another persons not that hard.

If the shocks on yours are black and original fitment, should be standard suspension. 

Do you have reasonable wheel arch clearance? Just wondering if the standard shocks have been fitted with lowering springs as standard suspension becoming stiff is not possible without changes or damage. If the clearance isn’t there perhaps lowering springs fitted or springs broken.

As mentioned check the bushes as cheap polybush replacements stiffen up the wishbones to the point that they can break - bushes don’t gve so the wishbone does. 

Bigger wheels with lower profile tyres will stiffen things up - what do you have fitted?

As a simple replacement you can still find good used units but in my opinion this is not your problem here. 

I fitted Poly Bushings on my 2.5! Cannot get rid of them quick enough? They are far to stiff for normal use. When I researched! After I fitted them!!! :hot_face: :hot_face: I discover, great for track use, not for road use!! Will be changed back to standard next week! Lesson learned??
Alan H