Mk2.5, should I buy?

Modified door cards

Ahh so you have to replace the door car as a whole, any idea where these are available at all?

I think if you google Miata NB straps doorcard, there are some versions on sale on Etsy.

eg

But mostly DIY:

A NB is essentially a NA in drag, so maybe also consider a late NA, because these might have more room. The later UK spec seat has a shorter squab on the seat. Essentially the same seat, with upholstery differences, was carried over onto the NB. JDM NBs have a short squab, but a high back.

Looks like I could have a go at making my own then

Hi I came across your post and I have just inherited my mams NB which is has had for 15 years sadly she didn’t look after it and it’s a car in need of some care rust wise it’s a mess I think it needs both sills done and both rear arches and all that involves I certainly wouldn’t want to change a tire

I will get some photos but you seem to have a good knowledge of the costs involved what do you think based on your knowledge

What I asking is should I just move it on or is it worth the money it is pristine soft too has been covered for 10 years and hardtop is in great condition and the car only has 20k on the clock

I think that one sadly sounds like a money pit.
Even if you get the rust/welding sorted it’ll still need other stuff sorting if it’s been stood for 10 years unused. Namely brakes, suspension parts tyres, all consumables that’s is before you know if it’s a runner.

If it’s a car you want to restore for sentimental reasons then yes but if you can’t afford or just don’t have the room or know how to do it then move it on, for spares or as is.

£2k to sort out the rear sills, arches and paint. £1k for the front chassis rails, which have probably had it. If its not been looked after, probably a new set of tyres, brake service, full engine service, new cambelt; another £500+. NBs are still depreciating. By next summer, with all the work done, you will be lucky to see £3k for it.

Yeh it’s a hard it is a runner it runs perfect and drives amazing still he did use it just not a lot

It needs rear brakes and a full suspension change which isn’t cheap granted but looking around eBay and such like very rare to see a mx5 with such low mileage
Granted it’s a money pit but I guess it’s the classic argument

Everything seems cheap until your 5k deep with no realistic expectations of getting it back

It’s only going to be a cheaper fix if you can weld and do the spannering yourself. That’ll be a labour of love or if you have the work done for you it’s a money pit.

There’s a classic example of a Berkeley being done (I think it’s finished now) worth a look at that thread to see what’s involved.

Controversial post; its a NB, so not a classic. The cars are mechanically reliable, so an ultra low mileage doesn’t really help. Its still a rusty car that needs trailering away.

I get that it’s rusty and I except your point but I think lower mileage is always a desirable factor in a car and it is still perfectly drivable and road legal it has some rust issues and I except it maybe be best for the parts market but there’s still cosmetically a lot of positive points just a shame as it has always been a nice car to drive it only recently passed its mot without too much difficulty

But again I respect your point and thank you for your help

I can’t see mk2 values dropping any lower. OE cat is worth £450 scrap value then chuck in a set of alloys for a hundred quid or so, even the scabbiest one will be worth a min of £550 so don’t let any scrap man fob you off otherwise.

I think it’s great when folk put a bit of time & money into keeping these great little cars on the road because they want to. If we all looked at cars through accountants eyes nobody would be driving around in anything. Buy an ND brand new today & it would have lost you more money in 12 months time that it would cost to fully restore a rusty nb.

1 Like

A classic example of a car being done up (the Berkeley) meaning look at what’s being done (the rusty bits) I know the NB isn’t a classic.:grimacing:

The more I look, the more I think about just getting the cheapest one with a years worth MOT and driving it till it breaks. Play the rust lottery and if it’s not too bad get it repaired after 1 year.

1 Like