MK2 MX5 with MP62 Supercharger

MP62 Supercharged 1.8 MX5 road and track car.

I’m very sad to be selling this, however, I stupidly bought a Turbo MX5 for the track in November and it needs a lot of work so I’m going to have to sell this car to help fund the work.

About the car:

I’ve owned this since Feb 2018, It has a great usable set up originally done by Skuzzle Motorsport by a previous owner. The brief to Skuzzle was to make the car fun on both track and road.

The last Dyno showed 181 BHP at the hubs, 200+ at the flywheel.

The sills were done by the previous owner. I am having the front chassis rails done and the driver’s side rear arch so the car will need no bodywork for quite some time. The underside is very good, the sills look like they have been undersealed when they were done. 

First reg Sept 2000.

Cars fitted with the MP62 are quite rare, it has loads of scope for more power with different pulleys and further tuning.

Now for the good stuff!

• It has 71,135 on the clock now – it will go up slightly with use but not much
  • BRP MP62 hot-side supercharger fitted in 2006 at about 43k - sounds fantastic
  • Goodrich braided hoses
  • MeisterR ZetaCRD coil overs were fitted by Roddinsons Motorsport a year ago and the car was corner weighted.
  • Stainless mesh grill
  • Racing Beat Dual exhaust back box - sounds fantastic
  • The hood is in good condition, it does leak slightly under heavy rain but under normal conditions is fine. This has a glass rear screen fitted with a de-mister.
  • Had the timing belt and water pump replaced 2012
  • Rota Grid Bronze Wheels with Toyo T1R tyres – the rear tyres are brand new, the front tyres still have good tread.
  • Megasquirt 2 ECU tuned and mapped by Skuzzle Motorsport. This was done by the previous owner and I think the car would benefit from a rolling road session.
  • Front mounted intercooler fitted with hard pipes
  • Dual throttle bodies fitted to avoid drivability issues caused by vacuum created by intercooler.
  • Upgraded pulley (increased size for more boost) plus auto-tensioner for the charger belt
  • OMP dished wheel give much more space.
  • 3 Autometer gauges (air/fuel, volts and boost) fitted into the dash (air/fuel not functional).
  • T R Lane roll bar and harness bar, harness anchor points also fitted at the rear of the footwell.
  • Mazda coil pack replaced with much more robust Toyota COP. Works flawlessly and is much more reliable and robust than the original. 
  • Torsen LSD 4.1 fitted
  • Brembo Discs and Roddinson Motorsport Pads.
  • Parrot Asteroid Classic Car Stereo with Bluetooth and SD card playback
  • MOT'd until the end of June 2020 (12 months MOT).
I’ve owned the car for two years and it’s been great, I drove it to Le Mans to watch the 24-hour race and it was a pleasure to drive and didn’t miss a beat. I’ve also done a few track days as well as a few Japanese Sprint series races and it’s been great fun. The Supercharger comes in low in the rev range, which makes the car much easier to handle and is nice and progressive.

Recent work has included:

• Oil change (5W40 Synthetic)
  • New spark plugs
  • Aluminium COP’s holder changed to a better one from the MX5 Restorer
  • Re-route of the 2nd throttle body cable to make the throttle lighter
  • MeisterR ZetaCRD coil overs were fitted by Roddinsons Motorsport a year ago and the car was corner weighted.
  • Front chassis rails and drivers side rear arch repaired by The Welding Corner
I have two keys with the car, as well as quite a lot of documentation covering work from Skuzzle.

Bits to be aware of:

• The car is generally in good condition, however, there are a few marks as you would expect for a car of this age
  • One of the mounting bolts between the engine block and the BRP Mounting plate has sheered off, it must have been like this when I bought the car and I’ve not had any issues with it.
  • The auto-tensioner is starting to make a slight noise, it’s been doing it for about 2,000 miles but will need a new bearing at some point.
  • The Driver's seat has a slight tear near the adjuster.
  • An advisory on the MOT is that the front pads are low so they will need changing at some time.

I’d prefer it to be sold to an MX5OC Member so am happy to discuss further and am looking for £3,800.

Photos can be seen here

Any questions please message me or call me on 07986 904 031

Car has now having the front chassis rails and drivers side rear arch replaced so will not need any bodywork doing for some time!

Hi I have just done a search on the forum and your car for advert came up
I noticed you advertised your car some time ago.
I assume it has been sold. Is this correct?
Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, this has now been sold.

Thanks,

Andy