Mk3.5 Loud Dashboard Rattle

Hi, my MX-5ā€™s suddenly developed a really annoying, loud interior rattle today.

This started immediately after I had to brake fairly hard to avoid somebody who pulled out on me.Ā  Since then, thereā€™s been an almost constant loud rattle from the driverā€™s side of the dashboard - seems to be coming from inside the area at the top of the dash to the right of the instruments I think?

Iā€™ve had the instrument cowl off & the rattleā€™s still there (itā€™s not the Bluetooth Microphone either); I also tried it without the column cowl, also with the instrumentation unscrewed (but not disconnected) - originally I thought it was coming from the instrumentation but now seems more likely that itā€™s rattling from somewhere behind the dash itself.

Iā€™ve had a good poke around under the dash & canā€™t find anything loose, the ducting to the demister ventā€™s properly seated etc.

There seems to be no way to get at the very top of the dash, where the sun sensorā€™s located for the Climate Control - I was wondering whether it might be something to do with that?

The rattle sounds like a loose piece of plastic rattling around, itā€™s most noticeable at slower speeds (eg around town) when it rattles constantly; on the motorway it doesnā€™t rattle much at all.Ā  Itā€™s definitely a rattle type noise, not a buzz.

It even rattles - one ā€œtapā€ type noise - sometimes when I engage first gear with the car stationary - somethingā€™s obviously very loose & itā€™s definitely something related to the dashboard / interior.

Itā€™s really loud & already driving me mad - does anybody have any ideas please?

Hi

If its a PRHT Is it definitely not the roof ?

Thanks pfw - yes, itā€™s a PRHT, however the rattleā€™s there regardless of whether the roofā€™s up or down - the roof was down when it started - so it definitely isnā€™t the roof panel.

I have seen a thread on another forum about loose torx bolts inside the header rail trim causing a rattle which sounds as if itā€™s coming from the instrumentation area, Iā€™ve just removed the header rail trim & checked - all bolts were present & tight, which unfortunately (for me) rules that out too.  Nothing untoward inside the ā€œA Panelā€ trim at the side of the windscreen either.

Itā€™s a really loud & very annoying rattle, definitely something inside the dash / instrumentation area at the driverā€™s side & so loud that itā€™s ruining the car at the moment to be honest - I wondered whether Iā€™d dropped something into one of the air vents but I havenā€™t had anything on the dash at all which could have found its way in there.

Hmm, has the radio been out? Was the ā€˜impossible to findā€™ security bolt lost in the depths, but now resurfaced elsewhere as a result of the heavy braking?

Or, much worse, has something broken loose in the pedal assembly?

Thanks Richard - the radioā€™s never been out.

I did check the pedal assembly when I was looking at it yesterday, but Iā€™ll double-check that; thereā€™s no untoward behaviour with the controls / instrumentation - itā€™s very odd, a little worrying & very annoying!

Andy

Have you had someone in the passenger seat try and locate the noise while you drive? I ask as these rattles and knocks can be very elusive and may sound as though they are coming from somewhere else from the passenger seat. I had a noise coming from the roof of my PRHT and I was convinced it was coming from behind my right ear but in fact it was coming from the lugs above the windscreen.
Just a thought.
D

1 Like

Hi,
After about 3 months, the very annoying rattle which sounded like it was coming from the glove box, turned out to be the rear view mirror.

I was struggling to source the location in my daily, turned out to be my sunglasses in the storage space.

But back to the MX5.

Ā 

Isnā€™t there a few relays under the dash, just above the bonnet pull ?, or did I dream this ?

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions re. this - greatly appreciated.

The good news is that I think itā€™s fixed!

Just before the journey when it started, Iā€™d put some eye drops in (I have a chronic dry eye problem) using the vanity mirror inside the driverā€™s sunvisor.Ā  On the back of the hinged mirror cover is a credit card holder where the Mazda Assist card (now over 4 years past its expiry date) has always lived since the car was new.

When I started to take out the header rail trim yesterday evening, the plastic Mazda Assist card fell on to my lap.Ā  I didnā€™t think anything more of that at the time & didnā€™t test drive the car straight after putting the header rail trim back together, because Iā€™d found nothing amiss.

Then late last night, clutching at straws a bit, it struck me that the plastic card could, just possibly, be the source of the noise?Ā  Maybe having come loose when Iā€™d used the mirror & then jolted free when I had to brake quite sharply?

I removed the Mazda Assist card this morning, took the car out - & the rattleā€™s completely vanished.Ā  So,hopefully, thatā€™s that!Ā 

As other posters have said, sometimes a rattle isnā€™t coming from the area from which it appears to be - as has been evidenced on this occasion!

Tried posting this morning but kept getting the 404 error codeĀ 

Andy, I didnā€™t post anything up previously as I didnā€™t feel I could offer any assistance, anyway, got up this morning and thought

ā€œI wonder if thereā€™s an out of date Mazda assist card kicking about anywhere?ā€

i was going to suggest this and blimey, youā€™d already got it sorted!Ā 

Barrie

So it didnā€™t assist you in any way??

Glad itā€™s sorted and simple.

Thanks - nice one Barrie! 

Iā€™ve been having problems with the 404 error code too.

Thanks Mick! 

Iā€™m glad you got it fixed. My car had 3 rattles when I first got it (2 previous owners). I totally agree that a passenger needs to be present to locate it. I was certain that a noise was coming from inside the dash around the radio. It turned out to be the roof lock. Iā€™ve got another that Iā€™m sure comes from around the dials, but the sound isnā€™t present with the roof down. I now think it could be from where the roof connects to the top of the windscreen.Ā 

I know this is an old postā€¦ but

I had what I thought was a dashboard Rattle. I could swear it was coming from the passenger side and thought it was in the glove locker. I ended up running a strong magnet EVERYWHERE and hit gold on the trim along the top of the screen to the right if the hard top latch. Removing the trim revealed a large torx bolt which had fallen out of the fixing bracket. Drove me mad until I found it. Turns out itā€™s quite common and there are posts on the US forum and even a YouTube video. Mazda Miata MX-5 (NC) windshield rattle fix - YouTube