Mk3.5 - Passenger side mat very wet

1. My model of MX-5 is: __3.5
  2. I’m based near: __Wooburn Green
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Noticed the carpet is very wet on passenger side - centred around where the mat buttons down into the carpet any ideas please?

I had this over the winter on my mk.3. It was a combination of:

1. The door leaking onto the sill and then flowing inboard. The end cap of the window to door seal had come loose and was letting in water.

2. Those well chronicled scuttle grommets leaking at the front and the water flowing back as the car was faced lightly uphill. Lots of posts on this one in the forum. :slight_smile:

Also you may want to check the hood drains. Again lots of posts to find.

1 Like

Thanx for the tips …

Some good tips and pictures in this thread:

Sounds like scuttle grommets to me. Get a torch and look under the glove compartment. If it’s the grommets it’ll be rusty.
Lots on these grommets in the Forum.
D

1 Like

I sealed mine with silicone, but it failed again after a few years, so I then put a batch of bichumen flash band over them, heated with a heat gun to get the tar sticky.

Silicone tends to shrink over time. I’d go for one of the black stuff that can be applied to wet surfaces. I can’t recall the name but over twenty years using it around our house it’s been much more resilient.

Just to add, I’m talking about silicone as a sealant, not the grease. The grease is brilliant for extending the life of rubber seals and also as a sealant if your windscreen rubber is starting to give up.