MK3 alloy upgrade options

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC 2006
  2. I’m based near: Newcastle
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Alloy upgrades.

Looking to upgrade my standard 16” alloys for something to fill the arch in a bit more. Looking for a quality used set, is there anywhere to fit 5x100 to the MX5 5x114?

For size recommendations without doing anything to the arch, am I correct in thinking 17” 7.5/8J with ET35/45. First time upgrading a set of alloys so looking for some advice.

Just as a note, the total diameter of the wheel including tyre will not change.

ie if you go from a 15" to a 16" the tyre sidewall will be smaller as it will be a lower profile. If you go to a 17" it will be a lower profile again.

However from an appearance point of view, there will be more wheel, just less tyre, which may have the appearance of “filling the wheel arch”.

To “fill the arch” you may be better off lowering the suspension. All of these (ie decreasing the profile and lowering the suspension) will affect the ride adversely though.

why do you want a different pcd? The PCD on the NC is the same as a lot of Japanese cars and the bore is the same as mitsubishi.

If you go for 7.5J with ET35 you will be very close to the arch

Mine has 7" and I think they are ET30 with 215 tyres and I had to roll the rear arches

1 Like

Thanks Richard. That’s exactly what I’m looking for, already have coilovers so can adjust accordingly for the height.

It’s just what I’ve picked up looking on various forums people saying different sizes. I’m basically looking for 17” alloys that require to work to the arches

May I ask what alloys those are? They look superb

They are a set of Enkie that had been on a Mitsubishi FTO

1 Like

Do you know what kind of weight they are ?

They are light as they are hollow spoke welded to a spun rim!

I went for17x7.5" with a 45 offset as the nearest I could get to the standard 55 offset. No problem with 215/45 tyres in the wheel arches. Smaller offsets may adversely effect the geometry while cornering I believe??

1 Like

How about some wheel spacers? Would they not help achieve that fuller filled look?
I am a novice too on this subject.
My car is on stock 17" and even though someone on the forum commented that it “sits well”, I long for a more filled-in look too. But lowering it seems risky (too many bumps around here) so ooint in spacers either.

1 Like

The stock sport 17s are 7.7kg, can’t get much better than that I think for the money.

Tracklite Gear is another nice option, 6.9kg and £130 each.

Hi guys, Is there an official name of the stock 17inch wheels on the NC as in the image ? I am looking for a set for my 2006 NC 2ltr
Cheers

Not sure if this helps…

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/wheels-c-378_186_196.html

Ahhh, thanks for that…will keep an eye out for some, hopefully Santa brings some upgrades for someone and wants to part with a set

There’s a few stock 17" rims on the sport models.

Top - 2006-09
Middle - 2009+
Bottom - Venture model (I believe)

harry

17 inch are the ones to go for , either 7 or 7.5 inch. Offset is max at 35 but ideally 37 or 40 works well on the 7.5 inch.

Ian