MK3 and LED replacement bulbs.

I have a MK3 sport with standard lighting. I want to replace the side light and number plate bulbs with led equivalents. However I’m not sure if I need canbus compatable. Please can anyone advise.

No idea… Lol

However you could buy a set off Jass Performance? Comes with Side, Number, and Dome Led bulbs

https://www.jassperformance.com/shop/mazda-mx5/By%20Model/MK3/nc-mk3-LED-combo

Mark

I switched both of these, plus the boot and interior light. Just checked my Ebay history and I used standard non canbus  for interior and number plate but bought canbus compatible for the side lights just to be sure. All worked perfectly. 

Just buy them in packs of 10 or more because you will get sick to death of changing them.
I’ve stopped using them.
If you want to make your car stand out, check out ‘switch backs’ plenty info on here, just search for it.

Side lights and numberplate lights are OK to change.

However, whilst they are supposed to last much longer than standard bulbs, in reality, they don’t.

Well certainly the cheap fleabay chinese ones don’t.

I’ve been investigating replacing the Rear Fog and the Reverse light in my NC with LEDs

I had success with the T20 for the fog with a supposedly non-CANBUS bulb, provided I fitted the RED LED the correct way round (ie in low wattage mode and not in CANBUS cooking hot mode.)

But no real luck yet with the T15 because I cannot find any non-CANBUS T15 bulbs so they will not cook themselves to death if left on for more than a few minutes, and the tests I did on the workbench with some samples I bought almost convinced me not to bother even fitting them.
I tested this one which got to 120C in under three minutes, and this one which took at least five minutes to 110C which I’m trying in the car because it’s a lot brighter than the old bulb.

Simple answer is that the Mk3 isn’t Canbus and doesn’t have bulb failure monitoring, so ‘standard’ LEDs work fine.

1 Like

Even if not canbus you may need a resistor in parallel on the turn signal indicators to keep the relay happy