Mk3 cai, worth it for the subtleties?

Hi, I was thinking about getting an after market cold air intake for my mk3. Ive done a little research on it and found mixed responses. I wouldn’t be expecting too much from it just a slight improvement in throttle response and a bit of induction growl, also it seems like a good place to start if I wanted to do any exhaust mods later on.

The only thing that stops me from just getting it is I’ve seen a lot of stuff saying the stock filter is good enough and that it wont offer any worth while performance gains and the money is better spent elsewhere.

So i guess the question is should i get it for the subtleties and modification future proofing or find something more worthwhile to spend my money on?

Also, if anyone is in the pro-filter team, any recommendations? Bare in mind it would have to sit in the engine bay or behind the bumper, behind the grille is too low for the area i live in, no “floods” so to speak just a likely possibility of deep puddles!

If anyone is in the no-filter team, what should i get instead?!

Thanks in advance for any replies its much appreciated

Disclaimer: I potentially have no idea what I’m talking about so please take that into consideration before you roast me for stupidity.

Have a scan of the other discussions, but my short version is yes, they can show an increase of a few bhp but can equally lose power. Filtration can be less effective to produce that improvement. Panel filters are an easy and cheap mod so it is usually done to get the process of tuning started. The factory airbox is a cai if you look behind the bumper.

1 Like

The Skuzzle Torqintake seems to be the one to go for, has shown results on a few different forums.

I don’t know if that dyno is remapped, I wouldn’t expect 10hp increase without a remap.
Only issue is they only seem to make a few at a time and they sell out very quick.

I have one that I have yet to fit but I must say the quality looks great, nice welding, even get a little rubber tab to cover the bolt that fastens it to the car.

I’ve seen a few people recommend the skuzzle, it’s hard to find online though I’ve seen 1 I’ve got me eye on and the company seems to have shut down. I found one by ramair that looks identical, would you know if it’s the same? The skuzzle uses a ramair filter from what I’ve seen so I guess they now use the skuzzle design

I’m not too sure but it’s very much possible that ramair made it for skuzzle after skuzzle did the development, normal practice in business. Even ramair, when they make them they only do a few at a time and they all sell out rapidly.

So you swop 1 cold air intake for another and get 4 or 5 more bhp at the wheels. If you believe u tube swopping the std air filter for a KNN will get you about the same. Swop it for an after market filter and you gain 4 bhp… no filter efficiency comparison though as that’s much harder to test.

You pay your money, you take your chances, only one way to find out.

Yes Skuzzle designed it and Ramair produced it initially with the Skuzzle name. Now has the Ramair name. Nick from Skuzzle funnily enough bought my one from them.
Direct from them £157.50.

Ok cool thanks guys, I think I’m going to do it, I’ll take the plunge and get the ram!

Saw a skuzzle on eBay for 250 glad I waited and asked the question on here, £150 is much better!