Mk3 Headlamps - Xenon bulbs?

Well I’ve had the Osram Night breaker silver bulbs in for a week and the are definitely brighter and whiter than OEM.

They aren’t as white as modern led headlights, but are far less yellow than the original OEM bulbs.

I was initially a bit disappointed because they are distinctly more yellow than the “cool white” led side lights sat next to them, but if course that’s not a sensible comparison to make because they’re different technologies and I don’t think it’s possible to get an incandescent bulb with a half decent lifespan in the same colour range as led.

Hopefully I’ll get a few years out of these new bulbs l, apparently they are a good balance between brightness and longevity.

I might look at getting some “warm white” led sidelights to try to make the colour temperature more consistent in the cluster…

These bulbs aren’t xenon in the way most people mean, which is HID. They’re just brighter halogen bulbs.

HID requires special components (ballast). I’m not aware of any way you can legally have HIDs on an MX-5.

https://www.ilmotorsport.de/en/mx-5-headlamp-xenon-left-chromed-5563/2038

I.L Motorsport sell them as they were an original Mazda part, if you’ve got plenty of money?

Eek - that probably doesn’t include the ballast and any other wiring!