MK3 MX5 - Original Springs or Eibach 30mm

Hi everyone,

I have a MK3 MX5 with standard (not sport suspension) that has a broken spring.

It needs a new set up front, as a result.

It seems I have a couple of options

1. Replace with standard springs (does anyone know who makes the OEM springs, or a preferred aftermarket brand?) KYB and Sachs seem to be the two repeating options
  2. Replace the full set with Eibach 30mm springs only, this would help with the appearance, but equally I am not that fussed particularly if it impacts the ride/feel of the car. I have driven a different car with Eibach pro springs before (springs only not dampers) and it felt like the dampers weren’t a brilliant match for the new springs. Are there similar problems on these MX5’s ?

Also, any other overlooked parts I should change at the same time, like bump stops ?

Thoughts welcomed.

Hello there, I have standard struts but the gap between the top of the front tyre and wheel arch was huge! You could get your whole head in there! The previous owner had changed the front springs as they had snapped so there is a possibility he didn’t fit them correctly as he did the replacements himself.

So on a budget I replaced all 4 springs for the eibach 30mm , not the pro version as I think the drop was 35mm. I could be wrong. WiM in chesham did a package deal on 30mm eibach springs including fitting and full geo setup all done in 3 hours and its transformed the car for the better.

Yes its lower and you have to be weary of the speed bumps but I do that in all my cars as everyone knows they cripple your springs.

IMHO money well spent.

I would ask if the dampers are still good? If so, then a set of aftermarket springs would be the way to go. Autodoc have a big range to choose from. Pricing is sometimes for pairs, so read carefully.

If you have any doubt about the dampers, then changing them at the same time is an obvious suggestion, and this opens you up to a world of choice from about £300 upwards.

The labour to swap the springs will be about the same as swapping the whole shock, maybe more as a new shock may come assembled, and tracking cost will be the same. So I would seriously think about swapping the shocks as a preventative measure if the car is about 10 years old. Dont want to revisit this in a years time…

1 Like

They bounce back properly with no signs of leakage, clearly won’t be as good as new but equally it’s used more of a light cruiser than anything serious. It is an 08 with 70k on the clock.

Hmm so just came across this (within this thread it eludes to some of the problems with the eibach on standard dampers) :frowning: . Niseko1 is your car on sport or standard dampers?

Basically it seems the eibach springs on the standard dampers = not great, but the eibach on sport dampers does work well.

It basically leaves me with replacing the front springs with KYB or sachs, or going the full way and replacing both dampers and springs. Given it’s low usage, it doesn’t make sense to me at the moment to go the latter and I will just keep it standard.

1 Like

If you are happy with the dampers and the handling as is, and the only reason for any work is because you have a broken spring, then I agree, a set of KYB or Sachs OEM equivalents is the way to go. Putting lowering springs on would be asking more of your dampers and possibly upset the handling.

If you are buying from autodoc, be aware that their discount rate changes frequently, and usually sits at 25%+ off. Best I have seen was 39% off.

Are NC and ND springs the same? I upgraded to the sport springs when I bought my ND and have the standard ones they took off in my garage. I guess they are probably different?

Thanks, that is what I am thinking.

Oddly Eurocarparts are VERY competitive on the KYB’s at the moment (£20 each). So I will just get a set of those.

I have heard the exact opposite, the -30mm Eibach work better with the standard suspension than they do with the Sport Bilstein set up. Suspect it’s a bit like tyres some have one preference other have a different one. I have -30 Eibachs on my otherwise std 06 2.0 and notice no difference with ride quality but the car does seem more planted and with less roll than before. If you think the shocks are due for replacement then the spring swop time is ideal as you will save on labour as you need to remove the shocks to replace the springs. Your money, your choice but you may like to consider coil overs, a cost / benefit comparison may be useful.

Mine are standard shocks @MX5Rouge not sport version. I agree with @alben heard not so good things with eibach springs on the sports/yellow shocks. No issues on standard shocks. Made a world of difference to car for the better IMHO.

Hmm interesting, do you have idea of the part code for the -30mm as it seems Eibach only list the -30/35 front and -30 rear pro kit. It seems there used to be LOTS of different flavours.

I don’t as WiM supplied and fitted them as a package. But I think these are basically them.

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/eibach-30mm-sports-springs-mk3-p-943.html

Here is the detail for the set I have on mine.

Thanks, so those are the set that are apparently 30-35mm at the front and 30mm at the back.

Whilst the MX5parts set is 30mm at front and 25mm at the back.

All just very odd

As fitted these lowered mine by 30mm front and rear.

Alben’s kit it the 30mm lowering kit, part number e10-55-010-05-22 is the 35 mm lowering kit.

Thanks McTrucky

Oddly even alben’s pack comes up as 30-35mm front and 30mm rear

e.g.

the 01 kit (albens) Eibach Pro-Kit Performance Spring Kit E10-55-010-01-22 | Eibach Suspension | EibachShop
The 05 kit seems to be for the 3.5 Eibach Pro-Kit Performance Spring Kit E10-55-010-05-22 | Eibach Suspension | EibachShop

I suspect that MX5Parts are selling the 01 kit and just know what it actually settles at and hence just call it the 30mm drop pack even though they say the back drops to 25mm.

Food for thought

I went through this last year, painful but got there in the end…
Mx5parts part number SI3100 is 30mm lowering. SI4951 is the 35mm lowering kit. Mx5parts were very helpful. Eibach GMBH were responsive, but passed me back to Eibach UK who were, well, next to useless.

Eibach state that the 30mm is for the NC1, but the 35mm is for the face-lift. I tried to get them to explain their logic, but failed. I ended up fitting the -35mm kit to my NC1 PRHT and hit almost every speed bump. Took them off and replaced with a height adjustable coil over in the end. Expensive lesson.

@MX5Rouge

This is a good read, might answer some questions you have. Did for me.

1 Like

Had the same issue as you so replaced all springs and dampers with -30mm Eibachs & Bilsteins - the car had done 57K. The kit (B12?) was about £690 and I’m very pleased with the result. Seems to corner much flatter and the stance is much improved, also it doesn’t ground over speed humps which was my main concern.

1 Like